Kitchen countertop help needed

iVillage Member
Kitchen countertop help needed
Mon, 06-28-2010 - 4:01pm

Hello, this is my first time on this board.

Our kitchen has a huge, beautiful granite island with mostly gray in it but also quite a bit of black and brown. The other countertop is a very old piece of beige Corian and we are ready to replace it. We just bought the house a year ago. The problem is figuring out what to replace it with. We know we want to use granite. The decorating center person gave us two samples of granite that coordinate well with the island; one is mainly brown with some black and gray in it, and the other is mainly gray with some brown and black in it. The pattern is small compared to the large swirls, etc. in the island.

The problem is, I don't know if either of these is the right choice. Neither one matches exactly, yet they are very close. My thinking is if it's not exact but close, it may not look right - maybe it would be better to do something completely different. My neighbor suggested doing solid black granite, but my husband doesn't like that idea because he thinks it will be too dark (the room has dark brown cabinets, "mustard" colored (tuscan look) walls, and stainless appliances, and not a lot of natural light. Also, the black granite we saw was more expensive, although we didn't consider granite tile (something I just thought of today).

I guess my main concern is this: if we choose a granite that is very similar, yet not exact, to the island, are we making a mistake?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:18pm

Fantastic! Congratulations on sticking to your guns (I LOVE that yellow and the Tuscan/country European look) - it is your kitchen, after all!

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 12:19pm

Thank you all for your opinions, suggestions and links. It has been so helpful. I think we've finally made a decision! We're going to use a granite called tropic(al) brown (Google "tropic brown granite" for lots of images) to pick up the browns in the island, and a backsplash that is basically beige but has a gold tone to it in a 3"x6" tile for a brick/subway tile effect.

My neighbor keeps trying to convince me that I need to paint the walls because the color is too dark and (in her opinion) outdated (I'm not sure about that), but I love it and want to keep the Tuscan look, so it's staying for now :-)

You guys have been great, and I really appreciate the input! When our kitchen is done, I'll have to take a few pictures to post here.

Susan

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:32am

I'm with Doris --- stick with granite. Don't mix unless you are trying to make a style statement. And then, make you mix dramatically different --- engineered solids aren't different enough, IMO

I've seen kitchens that mixed fancy woods or stainless steel with granite, for example... check out some of the kitchen videos on the Bang for Your Buck website (just click on the little icons below the playing screen): http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv-bang-for-your-buck/videos/index.html. There's one in the new Orleans episode that mixes granite with stainless steel counters; one in the Raleigh episode used different colors of granite, and the one in Cincinnati mixes wood with granite! As I remember, the designer loved the idea; the realtor hated it as "too personal" for resale!

If the videos are a little much, try the photo gallery here:
http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/bang-for-your-buck-kitchens/pictures/index.html
specifically slide seven for a mix of wood and granite, eight for honed slate mixed with leather (of all things!), and twelve with a mix of teak, marble and granite!

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:14am
Gorgeous kitchen. And I can see why you want to match that granite. It'ss VERy nice!

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 3:25pm
That is a beautiful kitchen in that link! I really like the idea of a lighter tile floor, but unfortunately, changing the floor is not an option. However, changing the light fixture over the island is something we have considered. I'll take your advice and search for some more Tuscan kitchen examples - that seems to be pretty common and maybe I'll find something else to inspire me. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 3:04pm

You're very welcome Susan!

I happen to agree, black shiny

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 10:02am

Wow, thank you so much for all the info! Personally, I think black granite would look great - I just can't convince my husband :-)

We are going to the decorating center on Friday and meeting with someone, and hopefully she can help us figure out our best option.

Again, thanks for your help! I am looking forward to finding the perfect countertop and getting it in my house!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 12:43am

Don't get stressed Susan!

Take your time, get samples to bring home if you can and lay them on your counter top. I know one will speak to you. I wouldn't go with Corian or Staron.

That is a really pretty granite on your island. Seem to have a lot more black in it than anything else, so black granite would go well on your other counters. The little flakes will not be that noticeable.

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 1:05pm

Another question :-)

Since our granite options have "speckles" (that is, they are not really solid, and most granite tends to have some kind of pattern no matter how small) - would using another surface such as Corian or Staron be a good option? We originally had a Staron countertop picked out, but our neighbors sort of talked us out of it saying we should stick with granite as it is better for resale value. But with the Staron, we could get more of a solid color look.

Also, coming up with something that coordinates with gray and yellow is not easy, but we really don't want to change the wall color unless absolutely necessary.

I am so stressed out about this, so I really appreciate the help!

Susan

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 12:57pm
Thanks for all the feedback! I am (attempting to) attaching a picture of my kitchen and a closeup of the "exotic" granite island so you can get a better idea of what I am dealing with. By the way, since you can't see much of the floor, it is wood with a red stain...

Pages