Why are you remodeling your kitchen?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:24pm

• To update its style.
  • To expand the space.
  • To make it more functional for cooking.
  • To accommodate activities like doing the bills and homework, socializing.
  • To make it more energy efficient (new appliances, greener design, insulation, et
  • Some combination of the above (specify)
  • Other (please tell us...)
  • I have no plans to remodel my kitchen - I'm happy with it as it is

You will be able to change your vote.

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 1:38pm

I voted for a combination - partly style (I HATE the light fixture for example) and partly efficiency (the fridge and built-in oven and microwave came with the house which means they are at LEAST 8 years old and probably more like 15)...

Add to the fact that the few updates we have done (new sink - white porcelain, a BIG mistake as the drain covers chip and peel; new dishwasher - stainless; and convert from electricity to gas for a new cooktop, also stainless but the decals for the heat setting are beginning to "fade"...) mean our appliances do not MATCH (the oven/microwave are black; the fridge is white).

I like the floors we have (off-white ceramic tile) and the layout is fine for cooking, at least for me. I do like the cabinetry but they are starting to show some wear and tear. Things which might count against resale value also include cabinet hardware (brass, which seems to be "out" at present) and the countertops and backsplash (a high grade laminate) but since the brass is throughout the house (except in a couple of bathrooms), it would be awfully pricey to replace. Besides, we don't plan on selling in the near future, and since the counters work for me, I'm not concerned about their effect on resale at this time.

Edited 8/30/2010 1:04 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 5:16am
The remodel of the kitchen is still in the dream phase. I intend to push it back about 2,5 meters (where a fish pond used to be). That would allow me to open up all that area, maybe have an island and reorganize the dining area, too.