How important is ROI in your remodeling?

iVillage Member
How important is ROI in your remodeling?
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:28pm

Has "live-in value" replaced return on investment when it coms to your kitchen remodel? A recent poll at Consumer Reports shows that most readers are either updating style or making it more functional. Contractor, architects, and designers seem to agree that Return on Investment (ROI) has gone the way of the DoDo:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/04/kitchen-remodeling-return-on-investment-builder-magazine-cost-vs-value-report-kitchen-planning-guide.html

Do you agree? Is ROI an important aspect of your remodeling plans, especially with regard to your kitchen?

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-21-2013 - 12:01pm

Before you begin renovating, know which projects will increase your home’s worth and which ones can harm it. http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/home-improvement/value-home-00...

CL for "

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 12:53pm

10 Value-Packed Home Updates
Before starting a remodeling project, find out which upgrades are worth the money.
Get the 10 projects with the highest return on investment

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 10:46pm

I am

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 5:23am

No, RoI isn't important. I renovate and remodel because I need to do it, it's part of the maintenance and allows us to live in the house in a more comfortable manner and also as a reflection of the changes in our lives.

Quite honestly, if I were buying a house now, I would prefer to be given a rebate of what a kitchen remodel would cost and have the kitchen done in the way that I need and want it to be. I've seen a lot of beautiful kitchen in model apartments, and none - NONE - of them were practical or fit my requirements (and these were high-end apartments. Well, I guess it figures - more for show than anything else since I guess the maid would be doing the cooking in the other kitchen space.)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 11:54pm
Oh yeah, getting old for sure! But I have you beat on that score!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 4:16pm

We are NOT moving again, so I agree! We did things to our liking and comfort

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 1:43pm

We have remodeled EVERY house we have owned since 1972, and never have we considered ROI in our plans. After selling our Texas house took 2 years and all our remodeling efforts there meant absolutely nothing (a completely new masterbath and totally updated kitchen could not trump location, location, location --- in Houston, grade schools meant more than quality of home), we have totally given in to remodel for our own living comfort.

That being said, we have NOT gone strange and designed rooms for extremely personal purposes (no playrooms or man caves or workout rooms or...) so maybe resale has been in the back of our mind all along!

CL for