Given the current price of gasoline...

iVillage Member
Given the current price of gasoline...
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 1:27pm

(It was $4/gallon here in rural northern California day before yesterday),

Choose your most commonly-used brands of gasoline.

Are these chosen because they are:

a) convenient to your place of residence or work?

b) the cheapest you can find? If so, do you drive out of your way to shop there?

c) the best for the brand of automobile you drive?

d) the only ones sold in your "neck of the woods" ?

e) other?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2008 - 2:08pm

Choose your most commonly-used brands of gasoline. I tend to fill up most often at Kroger and I don't know who supplies them...

Are these chosen because they are:

a) convenient to your place of residence or work? They are at the supermarket where we shop once a week so they are convenient. DH does sometimes use a Marathon Oil ... it is on his way to regular errands.

b) the cheapest you can find? If so, do you drive out of your way to shop there? They CAN be cheapest as, if you use the store grocery card, you get 20 cents/gallon off for every purchase of $50 or more... It used to be better (up to 50 cents off if you spent over $500 on groceries in the precious month, for a total of four fillings, but they changed their policy last month and now it's less off but per purchase...). At any rate, since I usually do the grocery shopping once a week, I tend to fill up at the same time... no special trips and I don't go hunting for cheaper gasoline.

c) the best for the brand of automobile you drive? I drive A VW Golf (2002 model) and it uses regular unleaded so, unless it's really a watered down brand, I've never worried about quality

d) the only ones sold in your "neck of the woods" ? WE do have a Valero closer to us but it is pricier (being as he is out in the middle of nowhere like we are! LOL). Up here where we are at this moment (rural Northern California), the choices are also limited (The UnoCal in Gualala and a Standard pump at the general store on the reservation) and prices are high because it costs a LOT to get gasoline here! Windy roads and three hours from the nearest "city" mean we pay a premium! Oddly enough, the prices here are comparable with those in San Francisco, but we noticed that in between San Francisco and here, the prices were about 20 cents a gallon cheaper. I can't explain that at all!

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 6:13pm

I regularly go to ARCO (and not just any ARCO) because it's the cheapest in town.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 6:41pm
DH manages a gas station/convenience store, so gas is a "perk" for us

~Jackie

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 9:52pm
Now THAT is a great perk!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2008 - 9:59pm
I go for the cheapest I can find/

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2008 - 12:18am
I live in Wyoming and last I checked we had the cheapest gas in the country. I live in a rural area so it is more expensive than in the "city". Last week I filled my SUV and it was $3.08 a gallon. I go to a station that give you a 2 cent per gallon discount with their free club card. The other places in town are usually about 5 cents more per gallon.

Photobucket