With the price of food rising

iVillage Member
With the price of food rising
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 11:11am

Along with the price of gasoline, we all are employing small economies in our shopping.

Unless you have managed to stay out of grocery stores for the past few weeks, you have already figured out that food prices are on the rise.

The Post and Courier in Charleston ran a front page article that included a graphic with how much certain food prices have risen:

• Eggs: +29.3%
• Tomatoes: +18.2%
• Bananas: +14.9%
• Milk: +13.3%
• Cheese: +12.5%
• Cereal: +8.1%
• Apples: +7.5%
• Poultry: +5.4%
• Coffee: +4.8%
• Sugar: +4.3%
• Potatoes: +3.4%
• Beef: +3.1%

How has this affected what you buy, when you buy it, and how much you buy of it?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2008 - 12:01pm

About three years ago, we bought a freezer that sits in the garage next to the old refrigerator freezer that we bought in Texas less than 6 months before we put all our possessions in storage. At one time, this freezer held a side of beef and a whole pig... but that is almost all gone (down to some bacon, some kielbasa and not much else) and it now houses the weekly shop...

I have never been on for coupon shopping or watching sales, but lately, I try to buy meat in bulk when there is a sale on at the local supermarket.

We used to belong to Sam's CLub when we lived in texas but the closest one is far enough away to make it inconvenient, and I have never been inside our little local ALI --- so I don't really buy in bulk.

I think I'm going to have to revise my shopping methods!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for