Would you like a "Room with a View"?

iVillage Member
Would you like a "Room with a View"?
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 3:59pm

Would a "View" be a deiciding factor as to where you bought (or built, or remodeled) a home? Would you define a "view" as a city skyline (complete with night lights) or a pastoral scene? Is there a cityscape that YOU would like to be font and center to your living room windows? Do you HAVE a room with a view?

~~~~~
To help with that last question, as featured on http://www.diserio.com/top15-skylines.html, here are the Top 15 Skylines In The World:

1 Honk Kong, China
2 Chicago, USA
3 New York, USA
4 Shanghai, China
5 Singapore, Singapore
6 Tokyo, Japan
7 Toronto, Canada
8 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9 Shenzhen, China
10 Seattle, USA
11 Dubai, Emirates or Arab
12 Seoul, South Korea
13 Sydney, Australia
14 San Francisco, USA
15 Frankfurt, Germany

and 15 Honorable Mentions:

16 Sao Paolo, Brazil
17 Pittsburgh, USA
18 Dallas, USA
19 Guangzhou, China
20 Houston, USA
21 Atlanta, USA
22 Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
23 Melbourne, Australia
24 Johannesburg, S. Africa
25 Osaka, Japan
26 Boston, USA
27 Panama City, Panama
28 Las Vegas, USA
29 Philadelphia, USA
30 Montreal, Canada
30 Paris, France

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for "

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 7:19pm

I could have SWORN I was wearing my cl hat when I posted this!

Oh well, the reason I asked this question is I keep seeing "a view" as being cited along with crown molding, granite counter tops and hardwood floors as the main criteria on shows like House Hunters.

My experience has been somewhat different, maybe because DH is always changing things (so eventually we will get the molding, counters, floors we "want"), but we have yet to met anyone who had a spectacular city view (and we knew a few in the Bay Area - one who lived in Tiburon in Marin County and one who lived in Hiller HIghlands, in the East Bay) who actually LOOKED at it. After a while, it seemed to become invisible to the owners and was more of a draw to their guests!

Our "view" is of the garden and, depending on the season, the lake which backs up on our house. DH insisted on water as a criterion for purchasing this house (it cost us more, too) but we don't USE the lake and don't sit out and gaze on it either. And the garden does tend to obscure our view of it during spring, summer and fall...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for