Does Charity really begin at home?

iVillage Member
Does Charity really begin at home?
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 12:05pm

1. What was the last organization you gave a monetary donation to?

2. What was the last charitable thing you volunteered to do?

3. Someone you know comes to you in a bad situation and asks to borrow $10. Do you give them the money even if you think they might not give it back?

4. Take the quiz: How Charitable Are You?
http://www.beliefnet.com/section/quiz/index.asp?sectionID=200&surveyID=140

5. Do you agree with the quiz’s results?

6. Should the United States do more to help its own citizens before helping people in other countries?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 12:14pm

1. What was the last organization you gave a monetary donation to? === we pledged matching funds/donation to the local public radio/television station and donated to the development fund for the Simpson Garden Park in nearby Bowling Green

2. What was the last charitable thing you volunteered to do? === Dh volunteers all the time as a Master gardener. My last volunteer was to take tickets at the Crosby Art Festival two years ago.

3. Someone you know comes to you in a bad situation and asks to borrow $10. Do you give them the money even if you think they might not give it back? === yes

4. Take the quiz: How Charitable Are You?

Occasional Donor. You give when you feel it is necessary or when you are overtaken by compassion, but your sense of charity is not an overarching force in your life

5. Do you agree with the quiz’s results? === sadly, yes. I do give financially but I get so irritated by the deluge of telephone solicitations and "junk mail" solicitations that I tend to give in spurts and not in a planned way.

6. Should the United States do more to help its own citizens before helping people in other countries? === I think that, if it is possible, we should balance our giving, but I do find it frustrating that we seem to be able to help earthquake, floor and tsunami victims overseas more effectively than we can help our own hurricane and tornado victims (perhaps because FEMA isn't involved in that decision?).

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 12:46pm

1. What was the last organization you gave a monetary donation to? Hopegivers International

2. What was the last charitable thing you volunteered to do? Watch a friend's kids when she was in need, no pay.

3. Someone you know comes to you in a bad situation and asks to borrow $10. Do you give them the money even if you think they might not give it back? If I have it to give.

4. Take the quiz: How Charitable Are You? see below

5. Do you agree with the quiz’s results? Not completely. The quiz didn't always allow for the right answers.

6. Should the United States do more to help its own citizens before helping people in other countries? Tough call...everyone's in need.

19 - 27
Faithful Contributor. Your sense of charity and social justice is very tied to your faith. Your charitable actions spring from both your strong sense of compassion and your religious obligations. You look toward religious leaders for guidance in where to contribute and likely participate in church or house of worship fundraisers and volunteer activities. Read up on what your faith has to say about charity and giving or find a religious service agency.

Thank you to Krissy (pink babyboo) for my fabulous anniversary siggy!

> >
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 12:56pm

I don't tend to do monetary donations.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 6:17pm
How nice to help out your friend when she needed it. That is true charity, IMO.

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 6:20pm

I totally agree that the quiz was organized religion-based --- given the source, I guess it's to be expected. But that did tend to skew the results, I think, away from other possible charitable enterprises.

That spaghetti feed sounds like a great event! And a bake sale too. How did they make out?

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 6:44pm

Thought I'd give a link to that garden park DH works at. He did a lot of the bits in the Silly Garden:

http://connect.ivillage.com/blogs/cl-thatyank/main/2008/06/01/they-dedicated-the-childrens-discovery-garden

They dedicated the garden today!

CL for

Community Leader
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 7:23pm

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 11:27pm
I think your church community is blessed by your presence...

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2008 - 11:41pm

That spaghetti feed sounds like a great event! And a bake sale too. How did they make out?

Not as well as we've done the two years previous, but I suppose that's to be expected with the economy the way it is.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2008 - 1:21pm

Pages