DH is on a "remodeling rampage"

iVillage Member
DH is on a "remodeling rampage"
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 10:54pm

The reason why he liked this house so much was 'cause "it's perfect" and that "it doesn't need anything".

Well, apparently that's not good enough.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-20-2008 - 11:01pm

Too lazy to edit, so I'll just reply, instead

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 1:08am

Jackie, I was going to respond to your first post when I say your "reply".

My sympathies. I have a similar DH --- we bought this house because it was move-in-ready and we've been changing it ever since! We will have to make sure the two of them do NOT meet as that could be disastrous to both of our living conditions!

As for directing his remodeling urges, that would appear to be the best approach but... WARNING!! It may be hard to do since he seems to be fixated on doing things that don't cost too much more than his sweat equity (unlike my DH who isn't too careful with how much it will cost --- he's collecting brochures for a perfectly good kitchen now! AAACK!). If you can identify a few tasks for him to do in that basement that he can do without spending mucho dinero, well go for it! Meanwhile, encourage your BIL to keep him in line (if your DH is ANYTHING like mine, he always listens to ANYONE but his wife! LOL).

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 9:36pm

"he seems to be fixated on doing things that don't cost too much more than his sweat equity (unlike my DH who isn't too careful with how much it will cost"

Honestly, I don't think that my DH has even thought about the current "projects" having little cost.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 9:41pm

OOPS!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 10:13pm

You also need to be careful about how things like that are "enclosed". There are codes that have to be met for safety reasons: special doors, a certain amount of clearance, etc. at a minimum.

Check out this url on GardenWeb:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/garages/msg1013223222199.html

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

Edited 7/22/2008 12:29 am ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2008 - 10:41pm

Uh oh!