Plumber Overcharged Me?

iVillage Member
Plumber Overcharged Me?
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 1:01pm

Any plumbers or spouses of plumbers out there? A plumber charged me $225 to clear two drains--both needed different snakes--was that too much? I paid without whining, but I don't feel good about ever calling him back.

(They were my kitchen and bathtub drains. I had tried clearing them with Red Devil lye, but it didn't work. The plumber told me he had to come back the next day with a different tool to clear the tub drain. Both were back up. BTW, this isn't Beverly Hills...just a small rural desert town.)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 3:13pm

I have no idea, white_pelican - prices vary so much around the country - but it could be BECAUSE you are a small desert town and he can charge what people will pay? Does he have a lot of competition? Could you call around and ask for a telephone estimate If he is out of line, you could always report him to the Better Business Bureau...

Or maybe he hit you with a fuel surcharge if he had to come back and come from a distance. Gasoline prices are driving up the costs of a lot of services like that! We had to pay $65 just for a repairman to come out and look this past month!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-03-2008 - 11:28am

Bumping to the top ...

Any satisfaction from your plumber, white_pelican?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for