Carpet in Bathroom...

iVillage Member
Carpet in Bathroom...
Mon, 08-25-2008 - 9:52am
let's post this question in the right folder! LOL

On these HGTV shows where people are home-shopping, one of the situations that seems to be a real deal-breaker is carpet in the bathroom! And as the author of "Carpet in Bathroom: Can You Make It Work?" at
http://homerenovations.about.com/b/2008/06/06/carpet-in-bathroom-can-you-make-it-work.htm said:

"Why do people install carpet in their bathrooms?"

Have you ever had carpet in your bath? Would it make you reconsider a home purchase, or decide to ask to a credit toward reflooring that small but essential room?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2008 - 10:06am

When we lived in London, both bathrooms in that townhouse (and end-of-terrace three-story beauty in SW15) were carpeted. In this awful pink carpet which was throughout the house, which had NEVER been cleaned until we moved in (we had it professionally cleaned every year we lived there but it was too late to rescue the worst spots), which our Abyssinian cat decided was much better to scratch on that her scratching posts (why were British scratching posts so short? She hated them as she couldn't stretch full-length while scratching), and which had a massive hole (covered by a throw rug) n the landing where one turned to go up to the second floor, probably caused by that turning! It cost us our deposit to have that plac recarpeteed when we left...

But I digress.

Having carpet in those baths was a PITA and I swore we'd never do that again.

So...

The master bath in this house is divided into two small rooms: one has the walk-in shower and the toilet and is tiled in ceramic tile; the other has the tub (which we've used once, to soak DH's hosta leaves for a Hosta Society show!) and the vanity/sinks and that room, directly connected to the MBR, is carpeted! Same carpet as the bedroom (a sort of off-white plush pile). Now this bathroom is DH's bathroom and so far, in 6 years, it hasn't suffered any spills or other disasters. But removing the carpet here would mean recarpeting the MBR as well, since the carpet is continuous. Doable, but pricey if carpeting our new bedroom is any indication (somewhere in the region of $3000). So we live with it.

I would never have thought to ask for a credit towards recarpeting that room... although I wish I had asked for a credit toward removing wallpaper and repainting that bah *and* the power room *and* DH's den. I HATE wallpaper! Now there is MY deal breaker!

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2008 - 10:08am

Here's teh full text of that aartcle... and of one that accompanied it.

Carpet in Bathroom: Can You Make It Work?
Friday June 6, 2008

http://homerenovations.about.com/b/2008/06/06/carpet-in-bathroom-can-you-make-it-work.htm

Well, I am not one to probe the Great Mysteries of Life. Why is Stonehenge there? Is the Lone Gunman Theory correct? And: why do people install carpet in their bathrooms?

Can you make carpet in the bathroom work? The better question would be: why would you want to? In my real estate open house travels with my wife and I, we often, often, often see houses with carpeting in the bathrooms. Yes. Wall to wall. Big carpet. Shag. Thick pile. I mean, real carpeting. Oh boy. It would be like some kind of Brady-Bunch-era-thing except some of this carpeting obviously was installed within the last ten or so years. So, yes, you can make carpet work in the bathroom, somewhat. We talked to a carpet installer who begrudgingly gave up a few of the secrets. One secret is just to think of your indoors as an outdoors, and install indoor-outdoor carpeting.

Carpet in Bathroom: How to Make it Work, if You Must
By Lee Wallender, About.com

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/floors/a/bathroomcarpet.htm

Carpet in bathroom. Three words that fill Realtors' hearts with terror. They know that wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom is about as good for a house's selling potential as being built over an Indian burial ground. Yet you keep seeing this all the time. What gives?

Moisture is the enemy of carpet. Not only that, but the mere feel of wet feet on carpet gives me the creeps. Still, I love a challenge, and it's now time to address the readers who, over time, have asked if it is possible to install carpet in a bathroom, and how to do it.

Here is what professional carpet installers recommend, in order to make wall-to-wall carpet work in a bathroom:

• Olefin. Look for 100% olefin material.

• Adhesive. Make sure you use indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive. A good, solvent-free, commercial-grade adhesive may advertise that it is resistant to water. (Buy Direct - Commercial Grade Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive)

• Pile. Lower pile (thickness) means less problems, because less moisture can be absorbed.

• Minimize Moisture. Avoid excessive water. Just as you would mop up puddles of water from impervious surfaces, do the same with your bathroom carpet. A wet-vac is your best friend for getting up moisture from carpet quickly.

• Mats. Lay down a bathmat on top of the carpet. While it may seem odd to put carpet over carpet, this first layer will catch most of the water from people exiting the shower or bathtub.

• Styles. "Grass carpet" style is just as it sounds, and would not be aesthetically appropriate for the bathroom. Instead, look for loop or needle-punch styles. While not exactly the lap of luxury (resembling a Marriott conference room, more than anything), these styles more closely replicate real carpeting.

• Subfloor. Install on a concrete subfloor. If that is not possible, lay down concrete backer board such as Wonderboard over your existing subfloor, and then install your bathroom carpet.

• Flooring Tiles -- Flor. Install modular flooring tiles, such as offered by Flor. Flor tiles are self-adhesive, easy to lay down, painless to rip up. The only caveat is that Flor is not forthcoming about its materials, saying only that it is "green" and "recycled." So, it's a safe bet that it is not 100% olefin. 

The benefit of using something like Flor, then, would be that you are minimizing the pain and effort involved with eventually ripping the stuff up again after a couple of years.

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-26-2008 - 7:55am

Never would I want carpet in bathroom. Too yucky. At least w/tile or vinyl or other non-absorbent surface, I can delude myself into thinking it's somewhat clean. :-) With carpet, there's all that accumulated/absorbed stuff...Makes me feel just a bit

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-27-2008 - 9:10pm
I have never understood the whole carpet in a bathroom concept.