removed wallpaper - now what?

iVillage Member
removed wallpaper - now what?
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 12:39am
I want to texturize my walls, and so far I've removed the wallpaper. I have also filled in the gouges with spackle and am putting GARDZ sealant over the wall. I want to texturize my walls with a brush, like a basket weave type pattern. What is my next step? Do I texturize it with plaster and then prime and paint over that? or do I prime first and then apply the paint in a criss-cross pattern with a brush?
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 1:40am

Hi, cindiw2 and welcome!

OK, when you say texturize, what exactly do you mean? Heavy texture is what you'd get if you apply a texturing compound before painting. It's a kind of primer with either sand or thinned down "spackle" in it which results in a textured surface that mimics plaster on drywall. Now if you have plaster, your wall will already look like that unless you smooth it down with multiple sandings, etc.

It is possible to apply paints that add texture: there are suede paints, paints with sand in them, even venetian plaster paints...

Or you can make a wall LOOK textured using faux paint effects (which is what your criss-crossed painting sounds like to me: a base coat of color OVER primer, and then a glaze in a different color or darker shade of the base coat dry brushed or sponged or ragged over it...)

In every situation, on a "raw" wall, you need to prime, or be prepared to paint MULTIPLE coats, especially in dark colors!

Check out this site on how to prep for painting walls... http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-paint-room2.htm

Hope this helps, at east for a start. Do feel free to ask more questions, and we'd love to see photos of how the room comes out!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

Edited 9/24/2008 11:22 am ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 3:01am
When I say texture I mean a light (not heavy) textured look. Brush strokes in a crisscross pattern with a color wash or application on top of that. I may have to go a bit heavier if my wall shows too much imperfection I suppose. But right now I'm hoping I can crisscross brushstrokes like a basketweave pattern. Should I add joint compound to the paint to get a heavier texture? I'm sealing my walls with Gardz over the somewhat damaged drywall (which I did from peeling the wallpaper, but I corrected that as much as possible, not perfectly though). So do I apply primer on top of the sealer, and then paint? At what point do I start crisscrossing the brush strokes? While I apply the primer or after that? Do I add color to the KILZ or should I do it straight from the can? I'll take before and after pics, thanks for the encouragement! I think, after all the trouble I went to in preparing the walls, that I'm going to have fun doing this! By the way, my door has a sheen to it, should I sand it first before applying the Kilz?
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 11:14am
By the way, the link you provided for painting was very good. Thank you!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 11:30am

OK, if you are creating the texture with paint, *I* wouldn't add anything to the paint. Just let the brush strokes do the job. And it won't matter if the wall has some rough spots as the paint will disguise that (especially if you use matte finish --- gloss paints emphasize every nook and cranny!).

I think I'd prime. Means you would only have to do two more coats: your base coat and your treatement glaze... Primer makes the surface ready to paint so it doesn't sink in Now if your base coat is very dark or a red (red is very transparent, especially) tint the primer as that means fewer coats to cover. And I think your treatment coats is the only one where you need to apply the criss-cross effect...

Yes, a light sanding on any varnished or gloss-painted surfaces makes the paint adhere better. Gives it a little "tooth"...

So what colors are you using? Do you have a specific effect (like aged Tuscan adobe, or linen or leather or...) in mind? there are lots of sites dedicated to faux painting techniques... Here's one for colorwashing to create texture:
http://www.behr.com/behrx/expert/activity.jsp?aid=610&subnav=interior&leftNav=noSteps

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 12:35pm
What I would like is a neutral type effect - like beige or linen (as you mentioned) as the base coat and a slightly darker color on top of that. I kind of like a slightly metallic look as the burnish treatment or last layer, but I have not decided.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 3:52pm
Sounds beautiful! Don't forget to take photos!

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2008 - 5:42pm

Hi cindiw2!

Another way is to use a comb. I saw this on HGTV and it looks great.

Here: http://www.homedecorexchange.com/PaintWallTechniques/Directory_ToneOnToneCombPainting.htm

Happy Painting!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jr & Mommy Buttons, who is in doggie heaven now (10-16-09) rest in peace my sweet furbaby. Your son Jr & and I miss you!