Where does the used carpet go?

iVillage Member
Where does the used carpet go?
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 5:56pm

I really need some carpet, but there is nothing in the budget for new and probably never will be. I know that there are tons of perfectly good carpet that is torn out, to make room for new. Something has to happen to that carpet, but I can't find out what! Does anyone have any ideas? I live in northern Utah.

Thanks!
Noelani

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 6:08pm

Thanks for dropping in, noelani2, and welcome to remodel & renovate.

I would suspect old carpet is in some landfill somewhere
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/306442/how_to_recycle_carpet_.html?cat=6
but... used carpet recycling does appear to be on the rise:
http://www.floortec.net/used_carpet_recycling.htm
Unfortunately, the meaning of recycling here is putting the fiber back into the manufacturing process, I suspect

Why not try posting a "want ad" in either your local paper ("Redoing your carpet? I'll take your used carpet for a reasonable price and recycle it, keeping it out of the landfill."). Of course timing is an issue, and you would really want to see this carpet first.

Have you tried asking carpet stores about remnant carpets? Sometimes they have end-of roll pieces too small for wall-to-wall but, if the edges are finished, can serve nicely as an area rug and would be much cheaper... Our wall-to-wall installer did this for us when we lived in CA --- and we ended up with a very nice piece fitted to our odd-shaped living room!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

Edited 9/27/2008 4:37 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-27-2008 - 4:28pm

Thanks for your suggestions! I have seen a few pieces of carpet in the classifieds but not many, and I live in an out of the way place, which makes it harder, too. I hadn't thought of posting an ad, myself, though. That is a great idea! The timing doesn't matter that much. I need to redo all kinds of things in this house, but have practically nothing to spend on it so, if I don't get something cheap, we will just keep doing without until I find something we can afford. I am amazed that used carpet is so seldom resold, when some people even tear out brand new carpet and replace it. Taking a big remnant and using as a rug is a good idea. How are the edges finished on yours? I also have an oddly sized room that I need some carpet for.

Noelani

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-27-2008 - 4:36pm

Well, on the one we had made, they satin-stitched around the edges so the carpet looked "finished" and didn't fray.

Good luck in your search...

And since you aren't in a BIG hurry, keep an eye out for sales.... especially closeouts!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs: "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of 8 San Man snowman charts, 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the DMC linen threads, a Kooler Design Studio chart form JanLynn called "Needlework Shop", "Tsunami Charity Sampler" from the fall 2007 Sampler & Needlework Quarterly, and "Autumn Leaves" from the December 2006 New Stitches

CL for