Quiz: What Type of House Hunter Are You?

iVillage Member
Quiz: What Type of House Hunter Are You?
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 12:56pm

Find out what type of homebuyer you are and learn how your personality affects your home shopping experience.

http://www.frontdoor.com/Buy/Quiz-What-Type-of-House-Hunter-Are-You-/55591

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 12:57pm
Not so much *me* as a DIY-er, but DH certainly is. We've yet to buy a house we haven't modified in some way or another.

You are The Detail-Driven DIYer

You rival the home inspector for thoroughness, and you're not impressed by fresh paint or new carpet. You're a do-it-yourselfer who is willing to change the look of a home, but you want to be sure the behind-the-scenes systems are in perfect working order. Who can blame you?

But there is a point where fastidious study of a home's mechanicals can go too far.

• Remember location. "I can help you update a furnace, but you'll never change where a home is located," says Nicholle Dagata, a Berlin, Conn.-based Realtor and president of the Connecticut Association of Realtors.
  • Consider the floor plan. You can add space to your home, but the floorplan you buy is what you get. No matter how smooth-operating the home is, you can't change its flow, and that can affect salability down the road, Dagata says.
  • Be realistic with inspection reports. No home inspection is 100-percent squeaky clean. There's always something, especially in older homes. You can ask the homeowner to install a radon detection device and help pay for basement waterproofing. But don't expect the seller to re-caulk the windows and shine up appliances for you.
    "When the inspection is done, we'll take care of what needs to be done to make sure you are confident, your lender's happy and the homeowners' insurance company is satisfied," says Christy Gessler, an Austin, Texas-based Realtor with Re/Max Capital City. After that, it's on you.

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 10:15am

Luckily, the location of this house is still the "it" neighbourhood. Many people here buy a house for the location, and then raze the old to build the new. It's an extremely expensive thing to do, but those who choose this area have extremely deep pockets.

~

You are The Neighborhood Seeker

Location, location, location-a real estate agent's mantra. You can change just about anything in a home, but it is where it is. And if that neighborhood is not particularly desirable, you'll have a tougher time selling the home.

On the flip side, buyers who only want to live on the "it" street or in a certain exclusive neighborhood often forgive serious faults in a home. "I've watched people get into houses with real problems because they want to be on a certain street," says Barrie Spang of Staged to Sell in Cleveland, Ohio. "Then they are living where they want, but they can't afford the house because they are dealing with tons of issues."

* Remove the rose-colored glasses. The perfect location doesn't make a perfect house. Who wants to deal with an unstable foundation or a sinking garage-even on the best street?

* Be willing to pay more. The house might be smaller, in worse condition and overall less desirable than comparable homes on nearby streets. But you'll pay for the location-sometimes too much. Decide what the home is really worth and whether you'd be just as happy with more amenities elsewhere.

* Plan to remodel. "The house might not be the ideal size, but if the location fits I make sure the family is financially and emotionally ready to potentially take on renovations," says Nicholle Dagata, a Berlin, Conn.-based Realtor and president of the Connecticut Association of Realtors.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 12:15pm
That was the situation in Houston when we lived there. "It" neighborhoods were usually tear-down neighborhoods. They BLAMED it on termites and wood rot but in fact, they wanted McMansions...

Edited 4/20/2010 12:13 am ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 9:07am
Uh oh... I'm the surface shopper! =)