How to repair a hole in fiberboard floor

iVillage Member
How to repair a hole in fiberboard floor
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 6:59pm

A friend of mine bought a foreclosure, double wide mobile home on a acre. It was a steal of a price I might add. The

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 11:49pm

Walls: it is possible to repair drywall but I suspect mobile home walls aren't drywall... This site essentially says contact the manufacturer to see if replacement panels can be found, or apply some "lipstick and mascara" fixes. I suspect the latter aren't acceptable

Doors should probably be replaced.

And the floor... Is the floor made up of multiple sheets of HD or MD fiberboard? In theory, one of these sheets could be replaced. The problem is, if the floors were put in prior to 1970, they probably can't be salvaged, as teh fiberboard used was very flimsy. So it might make sense to pull the entire floor up and redo it... See http://www.doityourself.com/stry/mobilehomefloor

I know that High Density Fiberboard is the "base" on which engineered laminate floors are "applied", not a separate product. But MDF isn't suitable for flooring so I'm not clear on what kind of floors these are.

Sorry to say this but am thinking "steal" might not be the right word for this acquisition...

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 2:13pm

Thanks Carol, great info in that link.

Actually it's a manufactured home built in the 1980's, 2000 square feet, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on a little more then a acre. I have no idea what the floor is made of, but it could be particle board. Plywood is still pretty cheap, so I think it would be better for her handy

My Honeybear & Zinger! 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 2:32pm

Thank YOU --- that door repair link is great! I never thought you could fix a hole in a hollow core door but I can see that, if they are painted, it would work. Not a whole lot different than repairing holes in dry wall, actually!

wondering f the people who lost the home to foreclosure deliberately sabotaged it. Apparently that isn't uncommon...

Glad to hear, though, that the place was basically a freebie. So may times, one hears of buying a foreclosure only to find you bought a money pit because of banks' "a is" policy and often a "no inspection" policy as well... Sort of a case of "buyer beware", KWIM?