Does anyone know how to cook Fennel?

iVillage Member
Does anyone know how to cook Fennel?
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:09am
I would really like to know how to cook it, or if anyone knows of any good recipes. I have always seen it in the produce department, and I wanted to try it but don't know how to cook it.
Yahoo! Avatars   
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:15am
I have no idea how to cook fennel. I just wanted to post;)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:05am
Hi Buffie,

Actually I have used raw fennel in salads during the summer--cut up like onion or celery. It is really flavorful. Have never cooked it though. Try it in a salad and let me know what you think!! Kat

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:10am
One way I cook it is by cutting of the top fronds (hehehe, never used that word on a board before!), cutting the fennel half lengthwise then half again (depending on the size of the fennel, you may want to cut once more!). Anyway, brush with olive oil and coat with bread crumb/parmesan mixture and bake in pan (coat with butter or oil) for about 30-40 minutes in a medium oven (~325°-350°). It makes a great side dish.

Also use raw in salads (as you would celery); also use in stews and soups.

HTH

Peace & Namaste (especially on this trying day of new boards!)

taz :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:12am
Buffie Jo,

Here is a good one from epicurious.com (they had around 380 Fennel recipes listed!!). You can also roast it (400F for 20 min) or grill it (great addition to shish kebabs) or use it raw in salads. It tastes great with citrus and works well with tuna or chicken.

ROASTED POTATO AND FENNEL SALAD

Baking the potato adds an interesting depth of flavor to the salad and lends a mouth-pleasing texture.

16 to 18 red-skinned new potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed

1/2 cup diced (1/4-inch) fennel bulb

3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel ferns

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt

Salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, quarter the potatoes and place in a bowl with the diced fennel, scallions and 1/3 cup of the fennel ferns. Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream, then fold into the potato salad. Season well with salt and pepper. Garnish with the remaining tablespoon of fennel ferns.

Makes 8 servings.

Per serving: 210 calories, 16g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 14g fat, 15mg cholesterol.

Hope you like it!

Andi

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:21am
Oh my that sounds yummy!.

Kel

CL for Quick Home Fixes and Projects http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-hgdiy

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:34pm
Thanks for the information everyone. I think I am going to buy some next time I go to the grocery store.
Yahoo! Avatars