Trudy, I just now read the post you made

iVillage Member
Trudy, I just now read the post you made
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:34am
on making rag rugs from old towels, do you

remember what issue that was in?

Here is the post I am referring to

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-hgfrugal&msg=2521.1

Thanks, I really would like to read the article.

Brenda

My forever siggy

I spend my time on

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 7:30pm
It is in the current issue of Martha Stewart Living. I am not certain whether or not it is on the stands yet. It has Easter eggs on the cover. It looks like it could be made from either new or used towels. The article indicates that cheaper towels may work better since they will fray less. I figure that it is worth a try especially if old towels could be used. What a way to recycle the ones that are getting a little long in the tooth. I think that small rugs could make a great gift either alone or as part of a gift set for a shower or house warming. I thought I would try it and if it worked it could be part of a "themed" Christmas gift for friends. Let me know if you try it. Trudy
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 5:39am
Thank you Trudy, I've got that issue.

I'm still a Martha fan, even she is human.

Brenda

My forever siggy

I spend my time on

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:09pm
Me too. People can say what they want about the girl but much of what I've learned was from her. Her projects and recipes usually work. If you look closely you realize that she is very much about living well by engaging your environment and making something out of nothing. I think people are sometimes intimidated by her and miss the point of what she's about. Let me know if you get around to making one of the rugs. I am hoping to do one soon but life is really crazy around here right now and I am lucky if I can get the laundry done and a little gardening. Take Care ... Trudy
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 1:59pm
I just read that article myself in the magazine (gotta love my mom and her "hand me downs" lol) and I kind of wish I had some old ratty towels. We got such good quality at our wedding 11+ years ago and they're still going strong. Ahhh well, an article to clip and file for later!

~Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 2:37pm
I love hand me down magazines, lol.

My mom subscribes to Taste of Home

and I love to help her get rid of

them. lol

I have a subscription to MSL for

another two years too.

Brenda

My forever siggy

I spend my time on

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:40pm
I noticed the article suggested using "cheap" new towels a opposed to thicker higher quality towels as the thin ones were believed to fray less. I guess if you wanted to give it a try now you could watch for some older towels at yard sales. Living in Fl I often forget that yard sales are not held year round in most parts of the country. It seems to me that old towels would be softer than new ones.