Customized Outlet sheets....as gifts

iVillage Member
Customized Outlet sheets....as gifts
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 1:26am
I am not a linen snob... I just feel that having really nice linens make my life a bunch nicer. Well.. maybe I am a linen snob. I have always purchased my sheets at linen outlets where I can buy very high thread count sheets at a very low price.(Shop the big tables!) By purchasing lace at Walmart or a fabric store (on sale of course)(avg price $1.25-$1.87 per yard)and attaching it to the top sheet and pillow cases (made from twin flat sheets to save money)the effect is quite elegant and easily passes as the "high priced spread". I usually use either white or cream colored sheets. It is easier to fake it if I am unable to find exact matches for top and bottom sheets (similar shade, thread count and textures will work ok together).Also the neutral sheets fit most decors other than really contemporary. Attaching lace is very easy. I usually do it by hand for several reasons. The first is that I find that it allows me to work on the projects without having to drag out a sewing machine and gives me absolute control over the placement. (If you are not an experienced sewer you may prefer this) I have sewed lace while waiting for kids to get out of sports practice, while sitting in a hospital while relatives are having surgery, and while watching TV. I sew lace for the same reason I knit. I find that it relaxes me and forces me to slow down and enjoy the mechanics of the item I am making. Last but not least is that the tiny hand stitches make the project look more customized and makes the recipient feel special. If you have any weddings coming up you might want to consider giving customized sheets as gifts. If you are thinking ahead to Christmas, you have plenty of time to snatch the things on sale. I find that it takes me about one or two evenings to hand sew lace for a king sized set so time is not a big factor. Throw in a couple "lavender socks" or pretty sachets for th linen closet and you have an impressive gift that will last for years! Take Care, Trudy
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:39am
I'm not really a linen snob, but I do love sheets. Not for how they look on the bed or anything, but for all the cool things you can do with them. I've made living room cushion covers, with matching table runners and squares (for the end tables), made rag baskets, and covered band boxes with them, even used them to make valances. I made writing boxes, and covered plain shoe boxes for storage with them. At Christmas time, I sew gift bags with them (mostly the solid green sheets but sometimes have been lucky enough to find a red and white stripe one), adding a ribbon to tie them closed, and if I had the energy, stenciled patterns on them. These have been wonderful as I eventually end up getting them back the next year or the year after, or they get passed along to someone else, then someone else again. I've even used sheets to sew tote bags that can be folded small (secured with a sturdy rubber band) and kept in a purse for an emergency bag. I use some of them for fabric covered (cardboard) picture frames. I'm sure there are more things I've made with sheets, but this is what I can see right now when I look into the living room. When I'm bored with the pattern that's out there right now, I just change them for another set of linens and things to match.

It's funny, but I really haven't bought all that many sheets to actually use on the bed itself. When I buy sheets it's almost always to craft other things with. The twin or double sheet sets are great, with the price and the amount of fabric they actually have. The pillow cases included just makes it easier.

Carol

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:11am
This is a wonderful way to give a great gift

while maintaining your frugality.

Thanks for reminding me to get a jumpstart

on my holiday gifts.

Brenda

My forever siggy

I spend my time on

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:19am
Wonderful ideas ladies, my mind is already

thinking of what I'll be giving as gifts this

year.

Carol, I love the gift bag idea, I've always

reused wrapping paper, but this is a much better

idea.

Brenda

My forever siggy

I spend my time on

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:06am
Wow. I am WAAAYYYY out of my league here! You are so talented!!!

K.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:07am
Same goes for you, Carol....so crafty and talented!

K.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 11:20am
Awesome!

I have recently done a stencil on curtain toppers, which came out sooo cute!

You could do stencils along the top of sheets, too.

although there would be risk involved, as usually the directions call for

washing the fabric before stenciling. Then it takes a week or so to "cure"

the paint, then heat setting.

I love cotton lace :)

NHNancy~
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 4:17pm
No.. the point is that it really is very easy to make things out of sheets! One thing I've found about the whole idea of and stitching the lace is that the inconsistencies actually add to the charm of the sheet. I will admit that I started sewing at a very young age... but I've taught children the kind of sewing I'm talking about. In terms of craft projects from sheets...(I've done those as well) in most case the projects are really pretty easy once you do one. Many rely on simple straight sewing. I guess the beauty of sheets is that they amount to a huge piece of versatile fabric that is fairly inexpensive. What you do with it is up to you and your decor or your gift ideas.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 4:20pm
I often wash sheets before I start any embellishing. I figure that if there is going to be an shrinkage I want it to happen before I do anything to it. I think you could easily let the paint cure for as long as necessary. Sounds like a great idea. Trudy
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:16am
Trudy!

What a fantastic idea! I am a linen snob, I'll admit it, but I can never justify buying the higher thread counts that I would love to have!

I have got to find an outlet and do this for Christmas presents!!!! You rock girl, thank you so much for a fantastic idea! Everyone should love sheets as much as I do ROFL. (j/k)

Hugs, Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 12:26pm
Linen Snobs must stick together! I think you can do a search of factory outlets by company name. We have several in our area as well as some others that come just for the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just for grins I should tell you that I happened across a banruptcy auction for a fine linen shop in our area. I bought a collections of linens that retail for several thousand dollars for a VERY small price. Now I have to get myself in gear and start contacting decorators and other sources to sell them off. I had no idea what I was even buying but discovered most of what I have is either from France or Italy!

It all started because my DH like a blanket so I started bidding. It will be a chore to unload the things I don't want but at least it will be an entertaining one.