Pressure canner recommendations?

iVillage Member
Pressure canner recommendations?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 1:08pm
I am looking for a canner - my gift to myself if I can find one not too expensive - what kind/brand/size do you recommend. The ones I usually look at are like 22 quart? or so - figure it's not the smallest, but not the biggest either. Any and all recommendations appreciated.

I know some people say don't get one with a gasket - rather metal to metal - all american or presto or mirror... I want to be able to do spag. sauce, etc. so want to have the pressure canner - I also have a neighbor who will share this (she's a health inspector and only feels comfortable with a pressure canner) so that helped in the decision too.

Thanks ladies..

Janice

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 5:27pm
HI Janice,

I have never used a pressure canner, I do use a pressure cooker,

which is just about the same thing, only smaller. I have a presto, that has a rubber gasket. Have you tried looking at the sites? I also did see some on e-bay, this is one of them items that some people may try, and not like canning, so they get rid of the canner.

I love making meals in my pressure cooker, though...pressure cooking or canning..

is a little scary to some, as it is unusual.

I think DJ on this board might do some canning, not sure though.

I suggest you read as much as you can, check out consumer reports..if you can

I don't want you to think that your post wasn't read.

Sometimes people might read a post and with the new format, it is a little harder to post for some, so I'm thinking that your post was read and no-one had any experiences to share

NHNancy~

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 8:18pm
Hi! I use a Mirro 22 qt pressure canner. I love it. I have never used it for cooking

though. Only for canning. I'm not sure why the gasket might pose a problem. Is your friend

concerned about not getting a good seal? I understand that if the pressure is not controlled correctly there can be broken jars and food particles could get in there. Learning to control the pressure takes a bit of practice,but it's so worth it. Again,I only use mine for canning: vegetables,fruit,stew,spaghetti sauce,even venison.

I think my own canned veggies are superior to any store bought stuff.

I hope you find one you can be happy with. They really are a money saver.

~~~ruth~~~