Let's get this started

iVillage Member
Let's get this started
Sun, 10-01-2006 - 11:58pm

I am beyond thrilled to be able to call iVillage my home, I am the Resident Organizing Expert. You can see more about me in my introductory post under Ask Jamie.

We are up and running and I can’t wait to hear what project or room you are working on (or where you are stuck if that is the case)

Post away...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 3:39pm

Hi Jamie.....I thought I'd jump in over here with the perils of my kitchen island. I managed to get it cleared off last week AND kept it that way UNTIL....the weekend. It's back in shape now, but it's such a struggle with the comings and goings of 2 adults and 3 kids.

While I'm working on the island I'm also trying to develop a successful "landing" space in the laundry room. The thought is that it will help to keep the more public area of the kitchen clean.

The question is, am I just setting myself up for a disaster in the laundry room? And, is it ok to have a disaster someplace, or do people really keep everything in it's place all the time?

Thanks in advance for your input..........Kathleen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 7:25pm

Ah Kathleen, the kitchen island AKA the catch all, I know it well.

The kitchen is the heart of the home and therefore the place everyone and everything seems to end up.

The good news is that there is a solution!

First, let me remind you that it takes about 28 days to create a new habit or to break an old one. So whatever new system you put into place it will take a little while to stick- but once it does you are then off the hamster wheel of clean-messy-clean-messy.

Also if it helps to get the family on board blame it on me. Just say you heard this trick from this author lady and you want to try it. Sometimes family members are more receptive to expert advice rather than Mom's newest plan to get us to clean up.

And don't forget to involve them in the plan, if they suggest it they are invested in making it work.

OK here's what you do.

1. Find homes for all the stuff that keeps landing on the island. (If it's paper see my reply on that under Ask Jamie)

And I'm not sure the laundry room is the answer. Let me know what you've got landing there- my guess is you can use the backs of cabinet doors to hold stuff, and we'll find other creative solutions for stuff.

The laundry room is a recipe for disaster since it is so easy to say oh it's out of sight out of mind, I'll just put it there for now and somehow you never get back to it.

2. Put decorative stuff on the island for the next 28 days, so whenever anyone is tempted to put something down they are (hopefuly) reminded that it has a new home.

3. Try a new house rule (and let me preface this by saying this is coming from an organizing standpoint not a parenting or marriage counselor point of view so try it if you like it, leave it if you don't) Whenever something is left on the island you toss it in clutter jail. That simply means that when someone asks you for it they have to help you do something like an extra chore to bail it out. Yes this does work, usually after the very first time as long as you don't cave in.

So what's on the island? I'm guessing papers, water bottles, soccer socks, toys pieces, batteries, snacks and other goodies- am I right? -Jamie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 9:42pm
Thanks for the response. I'm going to flip over to the Kitchen Counter thread. I tried to start this with a similar title, but couldn't seem to "create the new folder". I just joined iVillage today.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-03-2006 - 9:21am
Welcome to iVillage, Kathleen!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-10-2006 - 2:08pm

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Welcome to iVillage, Kathleen!

AcornLeaves