iVillage Member
In reply to: hachie
Thu, 10-05-2006 - 10:10am

That can add up to a lot of laundry Alicia! Here’s a good place to start:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-05-2006 - 11:27am
Thanks, I want to get a handle on things before I return to work and am really grasping for every spare minute.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-05-2006 - 11:37pm
Oh, my!
AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-09-2006 - 12:57pm

Hi there, I am new. My name is Anna, I am a SAHM to 3.

I have found that getting a handle on laundry is easier to do, if you work it into your everyday schedule.

Like, getting a load started first thing in the morning, really works for me. I get up, go downstairs, get the washer started. Then I get the kids clothes picked out for the day, get them fed, make lunches, and send them off to school. When I get back, the laundry is ready to go into the dryer. And I can start another load, if I like.

Then while the clothes are drying, I feed the baby, load my dishwasher and wipe down my counters.

Nap time is when I chat on the phone and fold up the laundry and get it put away.

Learning how to incorporate it into my schedule was the biggest challange, then it was all about making it a habit, and then now it is just natural.

I would probably consider looking at your future schedule and getting used to it now. Because then when it comes time to actually go back to work, you wont have to readjust as much.

Maybe set up your schedule now, to get certain things done before you would technically head out to work. And then the time that you are supposed to be at work, you can use that to do other things you normally dont have much time for. Like, cleaning out your closet, or painting a room and such.

As for how I do laundry. I like to keep the task simple. We have one laundry basket that we ALL use. And every morning I go through the basket and get what I have the most of. One day it could be underwear and socks, the next day towels, maybe wednesday is a blue wash day........ Even with 3 kids, I have found that my laundry basket is never more than half full, even if I do only one load a day.

The thing that really took me a while to accept is that my laundry basket will never be empty.

Good luck,

Anna

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-11-2006 - 1:40pm

Yes, Audrey was born Septmber 5th.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-11-2006 - 1:57pm
Good for you, Alicia!
AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-12-2006 - 11:06pm

Great job Alicia!

Let's all think about our laundry area, since we end up spending lots of time there what is one thing we can do to make it more inviting?

Hang a picture of the children, paint it our favorite color (even if it's not in the scheme of the house), have a radio there to listen to, put down a welcome mat that has a picture or pattern we like, or something else...?

Any ideas?

Jamie www.JamieNovak.com

Organizing Extraordinaire

Freeing you from the overwhelm...

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 11:27am
I have five children, so laundry is definitely not fun. I've adapted my mother-in-law's practice of doing the laundry on designated days (I picked Mon, Tues & Thurs)to make it easier. I work during the week, so that' why I stretch it over three evenings. My husband also helps by doing my clothes and his on the weekends (when he remembers!).
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 1:21pm

Our mothers and mother-in-laws often have some effective ways in which they are organizing their lives!

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 4:50pm
Sure, just remember to tell him to read the labels!!! LOL!

Pages