Wilton Cake Pans and Supplies

iVillage Member
Wilton Cake Pans and Supplies
Wed, 10-11-2006 - 10:15pm

Hi Jamie! I need help organizing my cake pans and supplies. I have numerous odd-shaped pans, candy molds, baking gizmos and gadgets that I find very difficult to keep organized. Right now I have them in my office closet (my catch-all) on shelves. And some in the garage(catch-all #2) in rubbermaid containers. Have no idea what I have and/or need when it's time to do a cake and often end up buying duplicates. Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to get a handle on all of these items!

Thank you!

....amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-12-2006 - 11:03pm

Hi Amy, I know this problem well, you saw my binder solution with the directions right?

Here is what I do, I hope it helps, since nesting them is NOT an option...

1. Use small Rubbermaid tubs instead of the large ones

2. Pull out all the cake pans and put

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-17-2006 - 6:50pm

Hi Jamie! Thank you so much for all of your great ideas about those Wilton Pans!

Now if only you could magically give me 10 extra hours a day to get it all together! Hopefully with your organizing tips I can at least gain back a few hours a day!

Thanks again!

Take Care!

...amy

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-20-2006 - 2:06pm

Amy, do you bake these cakes as a business or just for special occasions?

One of Jamie's guiding principles is to work on this a bit at a time.

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-11-2006 - 7:53pm
Just wanted to share what I did. I have about 90 pans. In the spare bedroom, I used the entire closet. My husband put three shelve in it for me. I turned the pans up on their side and stacked them horizontal on the shelf. I made a list of the name of the pan as I was putting it on the shelf. When I ran out of room, I left that list on that shelf. Then I went to the next shelf. So now when I'm looking for a pan I just grab my list from the top shelf and look down my list to see where the pan is or go to the next shelf. Then I just pull my pan. When I'm done, I always file it back in its slot. It would have been really great if I put them in alphabetical order, but I was still buying pans at the time and there is no way I'm going to redo it now. My pan closet is the cleanest and most organized closet in my house, and always stays that way. Under the selves, I have bins to put my other supplies in. And that is where I keep my over sized baking pans as well.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-12-2006 - 6:26pm

What a fantastic solution! I agree it can be tough to alphabetize anything when you continue getting more. This sounds like a great system!

I guess for someone who can't put shelves in a closet, they can use a bookcase or put the book case in the closet.

For anyone starting the system from scratch I wonder if separating the shelves by type would work? Animals on top left, characters on bottom right, still using the list as you suggested.

The list you made is a great idea, I use it to create a map of my file drawer so I can read it and locate an item.

The upkeep is SO important. But since you love the pans I think it is one of the easiest to maintain.

Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket