3 Steps to Organize Any Space

iVillage Member
3 Steps to Organize Any Space
Fri, 10-13-2006 - 12:30am

I've been able to boil down the steps to getting organized to three

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-13-2006 - 4:58pm

wow! You make it sound so simple! I'm printing this off to try 18 minutes some day

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-13-2006 - 5:40pm

OK, I'll go first, LOL...

The area I'm going to work on sounds really weird, LOL

We have a computer armoire downstairs that houses the computer which our whole family uses.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-13-2006 - 8:17pm

OK....I'm in on this one too.

The kids have a closet in the basement that is just jam-packed with toys. It's outfitted with shelves but the toys always end up in a heap on the 2 feet of floor space in front of the shelves. MOST of the time the door can be closed.

STEP 1
We were all just down in the basement and the door was opened and I freaked out about the heap. We pulled everything out and I started sorting. I wish I had taken a photo before we dumped it. Tomorrow I'll continue sorting like with like and get the games back in their boxes. It does need to be pick up tomorrow so the toddler doesn't play in the heap.

STEP 2
I already put a few things back on the shelves, but I'm going to pull them off. Once it's sorted, I'll let the KIDS PUT IT ALL AWAY!!!!! This will accomplish putting back only what THEY like and use. When I put stuff away, I put the things I think they should like.

We already threw away one bag of trash and perhaps with their sorting process will find some good toys for donations. Sadly there were 7 boxes of unopened LEGO toys. If they don't claim these as good then they will be prefect for Christmas donations.

I'll report back with progress tomorrow...........Kathleen

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-13-2006 - 9:00pm
Kathleen, what a great idea -- before and after pictures!
AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-15-2006 - 8:36am

Well, we got everything put back in the closet and it looks great. There is plenty of extra space so there is no reason for additional items to end up on the floor. Toys definitely travel from room to room so a little extra space is necessary. I put 2 large bins on the floor under the first shelf for their swords, light-sabers and the like. The second bins holds a few play hats and some nerf guns, army supplies, etc.

They put the other toys/games back on the shelves, but I have a feeling it's the swords that will get the most use. ALL of the classic board games are on a shelving unit in another part of the room. Remote control cars and other cars are lined up parking garage style on one of the shelves. The shelves are very deep so the cars are in front of some lesser used toys (telescope). The depth of the shelves will probably end up being the downfall.

Any great hints for dealing with really deep shelves?

Right now I have some of those buid-it yourself white laminate shelves (like for shoes) in the back. This lets you remove things with toppling the whole stack and also helps you see whats in the back. On some of these "shoe shelves", we put plastic shoe boxes to hold the matchbox cars, building blocks, spy gear, and other small items (each in their own box of course). They act like drawers which is nice, but there is still a lot of shelve space in front of them. That's where I'm fearfull the clutter with gather.

Have a great day everyone...........Kathleen

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-15-2006 - 12:10pm

Kathleen, you have been really productive!

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-15-2006 - 12:46pm

I did the sorting of like with like and packed the game pieces in their correct boxes. The boys generated the bag of trash themselves and this time I just agreed with whatever that wanted to trash. I put the board game with the rest of the board games, but they stacked the stuff in the closet. The boys are 6 & 7.

I must confess that there was a pile of the dreaded "miscellaneous" leftover and I scooped it into a bucket to sort later.......I know I should have just trashed it, but at least I'm trying, right?!

The closet is 52" deep and the shelves are 24" deep so there is 28"of walk-in floor space. There are 3 shelves. The first one is 19" off the floor so that's where I slid the large bins under. The next 2 are each 12" apart and the top shelf has a slanted ceiling above it from the staircase so it is 12" in the back and 33" in the front. The shoe racks really only give one extra shelf because the top is too close to the next shelf to allow any storage, but I still think they help a bit, especially for the "drawers" created by pulling out the plastic shoe boxes. The shoe shelves and boxes are 12" deep. Everything is 44" wide.

Now....if you can figure all that out, you should be an architect!

When I was down there measuring I decided it would have been the prefect closet arrangement for a bedroom. You could store the off season clothes in the back 12" and the current season just in front. A quick switch would allow a change of seasons without draging out bins from storage.

The toys don't really have a season change, but they do have a frequecy of use so maybe we need to work with that premise.

That's the scoop. I'll see how it works for a few weeks and go from there.

Kathleen

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-15-2006 - 1:16pm
That helps lots!
AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 12:26am

Kathleen, sure sounds like you are on the right track. Deep shelves can be tricky. You are on point with the back used to store

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 1:40pm
Kathleen, I love your idea of using those plastic shoeboxes on the shelves to pull out like drawers!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Community Leader for:
~ Bereavement & Healing ~
~ Bereavement & Healing Support Chat ~
Wednesday @ 8pm ET
~

AcornLeaves