Need Advice

iVillage Member
Need Advice
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 6:10pm
I have absolutely no knowledge of sewing. I want to get started by buying a sewing machine that would let me do basic sewing like making slip covers and such other stuff.

I have been looking at the Internet and SINGER Deluxe Free-Arm 5040 PORTABLE ELECTRIC SEWING MACHINE looks like a good one to start with.

Does anyone have any opinions on this and whether this is suitable for beginers like me.

Any other recommendations for are also welcome. I dont want to get a very expensive one right now as I am just a beginer.

iVillage Member
In reply to: iv_shreya
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:20am
First of all welcome to the board. Glad to hear you want to venture into the world of sewing-it is a wonderful place to go! I am an avid sewer but not sure how to advice you on a machine. I would think maybe talking to someone at a fabric store and see what they say. But if you are a beginner than a simple machine with the basic stitches would be best for you.

I hope some of the other ladies have better advice for you.

Beth

The best thing for the inside of a man/woman is the outside of a horse-heard during President Reagan's Funeral

iVillage Member
In reply to: iv_shreya
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 9:45am
Hi and welcome to the board! I have no first-hand experience with the machine you are asking about, but I looked on epinions.com and it has a five-star rating from the four people who rated it. They ranged from beginners like you to experienced sewers.

It seems to have all the features that you should need.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy and I hope you will continue to post here and let us know how things go. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Becky

Photobucket