Carol, just wondering ..........

Community Leader
Carol, just wondering ..........
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 12:34pm
if you are still having sign-in problems with iVillage? Mine seem to have been solved. Now if I could just get my e-mail addy fixed in my profile....... I have tried to go into the member info and change it 3 times now, but the old one keeps coming back!

Becky

Imagine a hat on my head here! The only problem with having the sign-in thing fixed is that I can once again post under the wrong ID!

Edited 4/16/2003 12:36:24 PM ET by nottoo

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 11:47pm
I'm getting online using SILs Microsoft-equiped desk-top PC.

My Apple simply won't load iVillage fast enough to prevent AOL from cutting me off (I always had trouble with H&G boards, even before the new format, but this new format seems to be worse) --- and Tips & Tricks techies told me it was because AOL's browser (which *is* Internet Explorer) has to go through a AOL proxy server BEFORE it tried to find the iVillage servers, lenghthening the process significantly. That meant that, *if* I could get a board to load, it would often shut down if I tried to load a thread. *If* I saved the thread url adn tried to get there directly, it wold shut me down when I'd try to log in.

Therefore, I was never really able to get logged in (and my log-in *saved*) when they "fixed" it.

Either I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade one more step in AOL (and lose what I still have in my mail box, address book, etc. --- so much went MIA when the repair shop upgraded my system software and relaoded AOL when the whole thing crashed..., like my printer software, the help software fro Claris Works, the software that emulated PC software for me, my Wacom art tablet software, etc.) or wait until we actually have a home with a decent ISP (and I get my other computers out of storage, one of which is an IBM laptop...).

meanwhile, I used SIL's computer late at night when the niece is in bed and off the telephone!

Carol

That Yank

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 10:18am
Sorry things are such a pain for you! Glad that you are at least managing to check in with us!

Becky

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 10:25am
P.S. Out of curiosity, I tried to log in this morning from my Mac laptop using AOL. It took 1/2 hour to get one board to load up and then, under each folder, the posts were arranged horizontally! Every time one of those nasty advert pop-ups appeared, the scroll would immobilize so it took forever to scroll from left to right to see what was new and what wasn't. Even when it did scroll, the descriptions of threads was so bolluxed up it was hard to make out. Outlines worked, but, like the main page, scrolled VERY slowly, *and* while it had indications that there was a "second" page to the outline, every time I clicked on "next", it went back to the top of page one. Also, AOL won't let me search the page on the screen (in fact, there is no on-screen search capability for any web page in AOL - "search" and/or "find" gets you the AOL web home page and its own internet search fumction instead...), so I had to scroll through each and every post to find new headers... not very useful as an outline gets bigger and bigger.

I could actually call up individual posts (even managed to get an outline pop-up to work) but it was all so slow, it was frustrating (I watched part of "Good Morning America", the entire "Carol Duvall Show" *and* part of "Simply Quilts" while trying to post once each to two different boards...).

Can't afford that kind of time online (even with unlimited posting on my account, it's tying up the telephone and I feel guilty doing that when it's not my phone...), even though it would be much more "convenient" to be able to do all my internet stuff (email, msn, various crafty web sites, *and* iVillage) from one computer (my laptop in front of the telly) so I could watch the television *while* surfing...

Carol

That Yank

Carol

That Yank, who'll have to keep on using SILs computer...