Replacement parts for a 40 yr old Singer

iVillage Member
Replacement parts for a 40 yr old Singer
Sat, 05-10-2003 - 7:49pm
Ok... so I have asked to borrow my mother in law's machine. Little did I know, her mother had purchased it for her when she was 18 years old... this thing is 40 plus years old!!! So what do you think my chances are of finding replacement parts/necessary things for it?

Since I am just really starting to sew, and this was one of those "hey, there's a machine being offered to me for free" things, do you think I will be better off just buying myself a new machine?

Are there people out there with the same age machine, and getting along wonderfully with it?

Thanks for your info! I have YET to start on my nursing pillow... I need to get this thing cleaned up, and figure out how it all works before I can get started on the pillow!

Meredith

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2003 - 9:03am
Um I hate to say this but if it needs that much repair go ane buy yourself a new one cause repairs get mighty expenisve. I know my Mom has an ancient Singer-one of the first electric ones and she uses it and still loves it.

Hope you can get a new machine cheap enough so you can start sewing

Beth

The best thing for the inside of a man/woman is the outside of a horse-heard during President Reagan's Funeral

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-11-2003 - 5:37pm
Thanks so much! So guess what I got for Mother's Day? YES!!! A new machine!

I did successfully make my first pillow last night with the old machine. Luckily there already was a white bobbin wound... little did I realize that the bobbin winding was going to be manual on this old thing! So... I pled with my DH's good conscience and he bought me a new machine this afternoon!

Meredith