Hi, new here and looking for

iVillage Member
Hi, new here and looking for
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:16pm
recmndations on a good basic machine. I have one that was my moms but it is around 30 years old and clanks badly. I used to make some of my own clothes and figured it is tinme to get back to a psatime that will be creative and usefull.

Wendy
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 3:29pm
Hi, Wendy and welcome!

There are quite a few inexpensive machines out there that would probably be suitable. White, Brother, Janome-New Home are a few. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff, just straight stitch, zig-zag, and a few decorative stitches. In my opinion the dealer you buy your machine from is just as important as the machine. Make sure they service what they sell and stand behind it!

What brand is your mother's machine? If it is something you like, you might want to look into a newer model of the same brand. Or it may be that it could be repaired to run well and be all the machine that you need. Find someone who will give you a free estimate on repairs to get it back in shape.

Keep us posted on what you decide and on all the exciting projects you get into once you get a machine that works well for you.

Becky

Photobucket