My room is in order

iVillage Member
My room is in order
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 11:30am

DH & I took apart the treadmill and it is in the hall awaiting pickup. Wow - the room looks so much more spacious. I now can fully open the doors on the tall wardrobe cabinet where I store cotton fabric. The new 5' folding table is set up along the wall, right under a window. This gives me an L shaped area to work on, with serger and sewing machine on corner tables. The TV is mounted on the wall, the TV stand is now dedicated to current project and it rolls right under center of table. Fabric, pattern, thread, notions, and and related books will be stored there. I already have the smaller healing mat on the table, along with new portable iron. I did get three 14" squares prepped for quilt stitch practice. I can now easily set up my ironing board, and have room in center for yoga practice.

Just wish I could get rid of this cold so I could get to work. This is Day 5 of constant coughing, didn't get to sleep until 3 AM. Just grateful I'm retired and don't have to use up all my vacation time being sick.

Jacquie

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 12:22pm

So sorry to hear that that cold is hanging on... have you seen a doctor?

Meanwhile, enjoy your revamped room. It sounds wonderful!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Has the recession really led us to make do instead of just throw away?
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?
What do you do to get yourself out of a style slump?

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 12:54pm

I always remember the old saying - "a cold lasts a week or 7 days", so am waiting to see what happens. As I have no fever or sore throat, I'm hoping it will just run it's course. DH just returned with cough suppressant syrup, so I'm hoping to get a nap shortly. I believe in the power of sleep - LOL.

I forgot to mention that the floor model Ott lamp is now beside the new table and we dug out an unused floor lamp with an adjustable head that is between the sewing & serging tables. There are 3 windows in the room and it is so bright & cheery I can hardly wait to turn on music & spend hours here. Now if I could just get the top of my desk cleared.....

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 2:24am

Jacquie,

"Now if I could just get the top of my desk cleared....." LOL When you figure this one out please let me know!! Everyday I plan to get my desk cleaned off and everyday it doesn't happen! I really need to totally take my room apart and clean it out. I also need a new storage system for all my fabric and threads. Maybe when I finally retire I will get this done, of course I hope to have the necessary money to buy the storage system!!

medsassistance5.gif Medicine Assistance picture by HealthAccount

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 11:22am
I hate to tell you this but... retirement is NOT the answer. My desk (and office) is in worse shape than ever! And I've been retired forever!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 5:46pm
OH! Another balloon burst!! My problem is that I can waste too much time on the internet and now I have found a game on Facebook. I think I am going to have to get an egg times and limit myself! Any other discipline ideas?

medsassistance5.gif Medicine Assistance picture by HealthAccount

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 11:28pm
If I had any discipline, my office would be in order! Sorry but *I* really did get more done when I had a job and a schedule HAD to be kept! With no schedule, it is so easy for me to procrastinate. And the computer is one of th worst culprits!

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-09-2009 - 10:46pm
Your room sounds awesome!!! Hope you get better soon!
Photobucket

Lilypie

Lilypie
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 1:48pm

want to come help me get my room in order? LOL~~when we moved over the summer everything that has anything to do with my crafts/fabric or whatever just got tossed into my room, I finally got metal shelves into the closet and am trying to work from there.

I can't get to my sewing table~~let alone anything else.

~Sam

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 2:32pm

I learned the secret to getting a room in order when we remodeled the kitchen. Everything that came out of the cabinets & drawers was put in containers, didn't take time to sort through at that stage. BUT - before anything went in the new cabinets, it got a thorough look and I pitched a lot of stuff. Didn't want the new cabinets to be as stuffed as the old. Maybe you should just haul the stuff out and start over when you have some time to devote to it. Once I was on a roll I hated to stop - LOL.

Hope your closet is one with sliding doors so you can get at the shelves. I have a small closet and put shelves crosswise on each side. Pretty worthless, only holds small containers of craft stuff and a has a garment hanging area for sewing projects. The tall cabinet and cabinet/drawer combo furniture (the kind you put together) works very well for my fabric and sewing accessory storage. I also bought inexpensive unpainted "laundry" cabinets which are over my big desk. It holds sewing/craft books and computer supplies. We put the old corner unit kitchen cabinet over my sewing tables. It contains smaller boxes of thread spools & cones, zippers, elastic, etc. I think wall cabinets are a great use of space in a hobby room. There is so much that you seldom use, but it needs to be where you can find it.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 7:30pm

>Hope your closet is one with sliding doors so you can get at the shelves.<

Yes it's a 6 ft closet with sliding doors, I still have room for one those 14 inch selves to go into between the two other selves units that are already there. Plus there are drawers on each side on the bottom part of the closet. I need to take everything out of the room and then put the 2 area rugs back in at a better angle. I want to put a futon in there as we have no guest room anymore. We moved from a 2600 sq ft house back to dh's 1400 sq ft house. (we had 4 bedrooms now we are down to 2 bedrooms) this was not a happy move for me.

~Sam

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.

Pages