A worthwhile resolution

iVillage Member
A worthwhile resolution
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 11:03am

This is a letter to the editor in our paper and it moved me. I hope each of you can find something in it that hits home -

"These are my new year's resolutions, and I humbly suggest they may be useful for others.

I resolve to wake up to the knowledge that I don't need to pursue material wealth in order to be fulfilled. As long as I have enough to meet my needs, and my family and friends to share with, I have more than enough to be content. If I am satisfied with what I have anything additional I get, no matter how minor, will be seen for what it is, an added blessing, instead of just another rung up an endless ladder.

I resolve to forgive those who haven't realized the wisdom of these ideas, and who mock me for not pushing to get ahead as they are, for not striving to acquire more possessions.

I resolve to ignore the world of celebrities. I resolve to refuse to follow their every movement catalogued on TV and in magazines. Those we worship as gods in human form are no better than the rest of us.

In line with that, I resolve to acknowledge that those who are the servants in our society, the housekeepers and handymen, the gas station attendants and gardeners, etc., are the ones who, instead of being scorned for their lowly positions, should instead be honored for performing essential services that we could not do without.

I resolve to realize the truth that this world is essentially nothing but a diversion from the truly noble pursuit of giving instead of getting, of honoring others instead of ourselves, and growing spiritually in the process."

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 1:15pm
What a wonderful sentiment. I think it is VERY worth while to take this one to heart... and I will try...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Has the recession really led us to make do instead of just throw away?
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?
What do you do to get yourself out of a style slump?

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 5:35pm

Jacquie,

This is excellent. I wanted to post it on Facebook but it says it is too long. Maybe Carol knows how to post it for everyone to read.

Have a Happy New Year.

medsassistance5.gif Medicine Assistance picture by HealthAccount

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 7:55pm

Wish I did but I don't do facebook or myspace or the like.

You could use a link --- post it on your knitting site and then link to that if you feel more comfortable doing that...

CL for