More sewing room updates

iVillage Member
More sewing room updates
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 5:47pm

My car has this bad habit of turning right off the highway and pulling into fabric/craft stores. Today it was JoAnns. I had every intention of coming straight home after having lunch with a DGrD in her school, but there I was, so I might as well go in.

Here's what I came home with -

A padded "Sewing Center" that has grid marks, heat proof liner for pressing and pockets along the front for gadgets.

Invisible grip film to put on the back of plastic quilt templates. This should help my frustration with them sliding around when I'm using my rotary cutting tool.

Chalk marker & refill - hope this does better than the marking pencils which drag on the fabric.

1/4" quilters tape. Though my machine sews 1/4" from edge of foot to needle, I want this for teaching DGrDs to quilt. They haven't mastered they eye/foot thing yet.

Machine quilting gripper gloves. My current free-motion quilt project has told me that these old hands are going to get real sore trying to keep everything in line.

Not complaining - DH has had numerous hobbies over the years, now it's MY turn. I hope the kids understand I'm spending their inheritance.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 7:19pm

Sadly, our local JoAnn's closed last Friday. Now it's a 40-minute drive to the nearest one. My car had a habit of turning there too (didn't help that it was right next door to the town's only supermarket! LOL).

Can you take a picture of that sewing center thingie?

I love that tape --- I have several rolls of it from way back when. I hope it doesn't have an expiry date! LOL

I suspect I will soon be on the lookout for gloves like that (I did buy Fons & Porter's cut-proof glove though) and sticky-back template stuff too. the chalk marker can wait until I actually decide to QUILT something! LOL

Edited 1/28/2010 12:28 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 8:26pm

Though mine is called Sewing Center, here's what it is -

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3281&PRODID=prd57399

I've decided to move my seldom used serger off it's table and put this center on the table. With my sewing table at right angles to the serger table, I can just swivel & press. I tried the ironing "blanket" on the new 6' craft table, but it moves around while I press and must be removed from the table each time. This way I will have the pressing area and iron handy. I do need to cover it with a towel, because my nosy kitty will feel obligated to check it out and probably sleep on it sometimes.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:31pm
Hmmm... Wondering of there is some way I could rearrange my sewing area to use this effectively. I HATE having to drag out the ironing board when I need to do some pressing and while I have a pressing cloth top for my cutting table, it a) WOULD have to be removed if I want to cut anything and b) isn't that close to my machine...

Edited 1/28/2010 8:55 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 7:04pm

That was exactly my problem. The serger fit under the it's table just fine and the new "center" is spread out, with enough room at the back of the table to keep my iron set up, instead of storing it in the closet on the top of the ironing board holder. It just kills my back to lift that heavy board off the holder, so I don't do much clothes ironing anymore. I will get it out if I do some clothes construction, but this small space for crafts is perfect. I do need to press the packing wrinkles out of the center, but it's not a big problem. Right now the Omnigrid cutting mat is on the big table, with room at the end of the table to store a stack of quilt squares. I'll take a photo & post eventually.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 3:04pm

A possible solution? All I need now is to find a TV tray! LOL

Create a small pressing table from a TV Tray!
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/01/a-woman-a-plan-an-inexpensive-tv-tray-new-pressing-board.html

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 9:33pm

I found our old TV stand to be a great sewing room accessory. It is on wheels and goes under my big table when not in use. I'm using it to store current quilt projects and quilt books. With the proper padding it would make a great pressing area. It's at WalMart for $24.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 11:17pm
We had the exact same stand. We gave it away when DH got into BIG televisions! I never thought to repurpose it!

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 8:05pm

I normally just lurk here (have gotten some GREAT ideas from all you wonderful ladies). After I saw your post about the Sewing Center I went right to Joanns to buy it. I used my 50% off coupon and had a gift card with $11 left on it that was burning a hole in my pocket. I love it! Perfect size!

Thank you!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 10:10pm

You're most welcome. I especially love the pockets that hang over the edge of the table. This is to the right of my sewing machine table, so I have put all the small items (thread, snips, needles, quilting gloves, wrist support, etc) for my current project in them. A great way to keep things handy and not have my dear kitties knocking them all over the room.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 10:13pm

Well, the stand was moved to my room to when big TV arrived. I have an LCD TV mounted on the wall and the stand originally held a DVD player and exercise DVD. Couldn't master the DVD player controls, so wound up playing the DVDs on PC screen. I put a big plastic storage container on the bottom shelf and that's where the fabric, patterns, etc. for current project is kept. I'm trying to stick with one project at a time. If I don't work on it, I start several just for the adventure, than then languish unfinished for ages. Okay for crafts, but not for clothes.

Jacquie