Reading about Crafting (needlework or...

iVillage Member
Reading about Crafting (needlework or...
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 4:52pm

Reading about Crafting (needlework or any other craft that turns you on)

• I read magazines (which ones?)
  • I love crafting books (what is your favorite?)
  • I'm a blog surfer (is there one in particular you'd recommend?)
  • I don't read about my favorite craft... I prefer hands on experiences
  • Other

You will be able to change your vote.

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 12:49am

I voted other, for most of the above -- specifically the first 3. I read whatever I can get my hands on about all manner of needlework and crafts!

Sadly it seems I do more reading than doing!

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 12:04pm

I also voted other and for the same reason --- I tend toward an all of the above option and I should have put it in the poll!

I subscribe to a number of crafting magazines although I have begun to let the subscriptions of the more expensive UK and Australian ones lapse. I used to read each and every one cover to cover but have found recently that I only skim most of them, and if there aren't any charts or patterns that immediately catch my eye, odds are, they end up in that HUGE pile in my office! My favorite magazines do have interesting articles in addition to patterns or charts: they include Scrap and Stamp Arts (US), RubberStampMadness (US) and Craft Stamper (UK) for papercrafting, Cloth Paper Scissors (US) for mixed media, Just Cross Stitch (US) and Needlework and Antique SamplerQuarterly (US) for embroidery. Although I also subscribe to a number of quilting magazines, I really don't count them among my favorites as surprising few offer more than patterns well beyond my novice skills.

I have, on occasion, bought books on crafting, mainly for inspiration. But there isn't any specific one that I rely on...

In the course of the day, I read a lot of blog entries and websites, mainly through the guidance of Craftgossip.com. You all see the benefit of this wonderful online resource in the tutorial links I post here daily.

I also subscribe to one online embroidery magazine, The Gift of Stitching (Australian) and belong to a number of other forums ...

For the most part, my crafting is self-taught (kit makers deserve praise for the detailed how-tos they include in their stitchery instructions, IMO) although I did take quilting classes while in Saudi Arabia and have attended a number of Stamp Camps since returning to the US for rubber stamping/card-making...

and as you said, all this reading takes a LOT of time away from the actual crafting!

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 7:20pm
I voted "other" because I get Crochet World magazine and I also enjoy a good book about crochet. But, I've started a new craft (knitting), I know I won't get as involved with that as I am with crochet but I do have a new book on order with Amazon.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 10:27pm
Martha, are you finding knitting to be harder for you than crochet? That has been my experience, although I actually started with knitting first before teaching myself to crochet.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 10:29pm

Now *I* started knitting first and I think that is why i can't crochet. I keep looking for that second needle! LOL

Of course, my Gran tried to teach me crochet LONG before I learned to knit and she failed miserably so maybe I'm just hook-imparied!

What book have you on order?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 3:59am

I used to read a lot about jewellery - websites and books mainly. I haven't done that in a long time!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 6:17pm
I do recognize a lot of them! Glad my posting them has given you a resource you can use!

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 6:54pm
I just finished my first knit stitch dishcloth and I had some problems with binding off but once I looked at the whole tutorial I figured out my mistake. But, I don't think it's going to be any harder...just much slower. My next project will be a dishcloth using the purl stitch.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2010 - 6:58pm
I ordered "The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting: Learn to Knit with More Than 30 Cool, Easy Patterns. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823006751/ref=oss_product

Photobucket

Pages