Piecing with accurate seams (TOW)

iVillage Member
Piecing with accurate seams (TOW)
Tue, 01-31-2006 - 10:39am

Accurate Seams --- the absolute bugaboo of all quilters. If your seams are off (or worse, inconsistant), your blocks will come out different sizes, your points won't match,, your quilt won't lie flat, etc.

So how do you make accurate seams? Here's a tip but what it comes down to is practise, practise, practise!

(Oh, and it doesn't HAVE to be 1/4" --- if you are consistant with 3/8", that's great so long as it is only your quilt you are piecing for. Just remember, though, if you are trading blocks with others in a group or guild, you all want to sew to the same standard, so reaching for 1/" consistancy is a good thing...)

~~~~~

http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/accurate.htm

Making Accurate Seams

- A quarter inch foot may have come with your sewing machine. If not you may be able to buy one for your machine or buy a generic one. It is well worth the expense. If you sew with the fabric just at the edge of the foot, and not beyond, maybe even a few threads closer to the needle than the edge of the foot, you should have a quarter inch seam.

- Put a ruler under your needle and mark with masking tape where the quarter inch mark should be. If you use several layers of masking tape it makes a little lip to work against. Electrical tape works well too. You can buy a magnet that will serve this purpose, but do not use a magnet if you have a computerized sewing machine! Magnets wreck computers!

- Practice making an accurate 1/4" seam using scrap fabric until you are
very good at it. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 1/4" wide; sew them together and iron, checking afterwards to see if they are 4" wide.

- After washing your fabric use spray starch while ironing to replace the
sizing. This makes it easier to get that accurate seam.

- Check each block after sewing to make sure it is the right size, and make corrections before sewing them all together.

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Antiques and Collectibles". and CL for "Photoboard: Winter Celebrations" and "New Home 911"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Lady Liberty", "The Magic of Summer","Blue Porcelain Collection", "Walking to Town",and 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-04-2006 - 9:55pm

I think the comment about starching your fabric should be at the top of that list :-) In my opinion, it's THE most important step when piecing or quilting by machine. Starched fabric is stiffer, so it's easier to line up and it doesn't stretch nearly as much as untreated fabric does.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 11:31am

Carol,

Yes, this is a difficult thing for me!

Photobucket    

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 12:39pm
Hooray for you and Ethan! So glad everything went well with the adoption!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Antiques and Collectibles". and CL for "Photoboard: Winter Celebrations" and "New Home 911"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

and Follow Me to "Marketing, PR and Advertising"

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Lady Liberty", "The Magic of Summer","Blue Porcelain Collection", "Walking to Town",and 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads

CL for

Community Leader
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 6:16pm
Congrats, I'm so glad the adoption is final.

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting