Learned something new - about Binding

iVillage Member
Learned something new - about Binding
Tue, 02-14-2006 - 7:26pm

I'm almost finished my current baby quilt, and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2006 - 8:04pm

So when are we going to see a photo of the finished quilt?

And just how did you join the ends?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Antiques and Collectibles". and CL for "Photoboard: Winter Celebrations" and "New Home 911"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Lady Liberty", "The Magic of Summer","Blue Porcelain Collection", "Walking to Town",and 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2006 - 2:45am

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how I joined the ends :-) Well, I did the proper 45 degree angle on either end, and overlapped them somehow so I could tuck one end into the fold of the other (double fold binding...), and then just pinned them down and sewed them on (raw edges lined up on the front of the quilt). I didn't stitch the ends together yet, they're only tucked in, but once I get around to that point when handstitching the binding to the back, I'll stitch the two pieces together to secure them, basically in the same way I'm stitching down the mitre fold at the corners (just to make everything neat and secure).

And you'll see a picture as soon as I get the binding secured on the back, I'm working on it right now actually (well, I was until my one finger was starting to tingle, so I'm giving it a bit of a rest at the moment).

cheers

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2006 - 9:18pm

here are the pictures, full front, detail, and with the matching pouch. The quilting is just in the ditch, and a couple of straight lines along the border, nothing fancy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2006 - 12:36am

Nice work, Miika! I love it -- love the dogs, love the colors.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2006 - 10:31am

What a great use of novelty dog) fabric! Perfect!

And I love the colors and the pouch idea too...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Antiques and Collectibles". and CL for "Photoboard: Winter Celebrations" and "New Home 911"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Lady Liberty", "The Magic of Summer","Blue Porcelain Collection", "Walking to Town",and 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads

CL for