Do you prewash?

iVillage Member
Do you prewash?
Thu, 01-07-2010 - 3:56pm

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-08-2010 - 9:21pm

I prewash almost all of my fabric that will go into quilts. The main reason is I use a lot of reds (for www.qovf.org) for patriotic quilts and reds are notorious for running. I also use a product called color catchers - I think Shout makes it and I find it at Target. I keep the color catcher sheets and use them many times until they are quite dark. I actually put 3-8 used ones and a new one in with a load of new fabrics, especially reds. It is amazing how much color they "catch."

If the fabric is a bit limp after washing and ironing, I use some spray starch or spray sizing to give it some crispness. After the quilt is made I wash it so there is nothing but the fabric left.

A few patterns that tell you not to prewash because it will distort the material pattern - for example, stack-n-whacks.

Betty, TX

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(Honeycomb)

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(H

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-08-2010 - 11:27pm

I heard from some that they prewash becase it solves a differential shrinking issue. Have you ever noted that some quilt cottons shrink more than others? I haven't but then it's been a while since I bought any new fabric...

I know what you mean about reds... they are notorious, no matter how color fast they a e claimed to be.

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-27-2013 - 10:52am

Do your fabrics fray and tangle? here's a tip on how to prevent that: http://sugartartcrafts.blogspot.com/2013/01/tip-of-week-fray-less-washin...