Lap quilting boo boo

iVillage Member
Lap quilting boo boo
Wed, 02-03-2010 - 6:29pm

Well, I made a beaut of a mistake! I am quilting each square of new wall hanging, then will assemble late. Found I was missing one square, looked all over the house, and gave up. Eventually went back to the pile of completed panel, which were turned over. Then I noticed that 1 panel was way thicker than the other - I had quilted 2 of them TOGETHER. Had a good laugh, now must get the seam ripper out and correct my mess.

Can't be any worse than one of my first dresses. I didn't pay attention to the grain, cut 2 front pieces in opposite ways. Was an interesting effect - one half of the dress was darker looking - LOL.

Age has it's advantages - I figure I've made most of my mistakes by now, but when I do one now, it's a hoot.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 12:35am

Oh dear... Didn't you notice that the seams felt different?

I've done similar things in the piecing: fussy cut fabric sewed in upside down (after all that work! LOL), one dark fabric sewed in back-to-front in one block only... My quilting teacher called them my "humble blocks"! LOL

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 9:59am

Humble blocks - I like it! As I was just quilting the border around each block, I didn't go over any seams. But - it did feel a little thick, but I figure I was just getting tired. Luckily, I had only sewn 2 sides before I discovered the mistake. Thankfully, the wall TV in my room entertained me last eve while I picked the stitches out on one side. Didn't want to risk getting pieces of thread watching TV in the living room.

Jacquie