When it's time to start a new quilt...

iVillage Member
When it's time to start a new quilt...
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 12:25pm

How much do you plan before you get going?

Do you follow a printed pattern or make up your own? Or do you just let it all happen?

Do you sketch and work out measurements as you go along?

Do you do your sketches by hand or do you use software like Electric Quilt (EQ)?

CL for

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2010 - 5:48pm

As many of you may know, I make up kits for Quilts of Valor. I have a set of patterns that I use. Most are pretty simple like Turning Twenty, Disappearing Nine Patch, etc. When I first started doing it, I used a focus fabric, added sashing (or as I call it a frame) around the focus square, sashing between the "frames" and then borders. I worked out the measurements on paper because the QOVs have to be between certain min. and max. dimensions.

For my own.... most of the time I use a pattern but I may change the size. Lately I have changed my mind on the size of some quilts part way through and made them smaller. Therefore I have leftover blocks. I have been using them to make baby quilts. Again, I do a basic sketch and figure the dimension so it won't be too large or too small.

I have never just started and let it flow.... I have to have some sort of plan, even if it is vague.

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(Honeycomb)

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(H