Nursing pillow pattern?

iVillage Member
Nursing pillow pattern?
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 10:15pm
First of all... good evening. This is my first post here.

I am not a sewer. I only did a little in college, but I have a sister and mother who will help me with any questions that I have. My DH is bringing home my MIL's sewing machine that she has been begging me to take for a number of years. I have decided that I am going to teach myself how to do this.

What I would like to make first (or second, or third... depending on the skill level required) is a nursing pillow. There is a pattern on Ebay right now that has a lot of great little things in it... a nursing pillow is one of them. Does anyone else know of any other sources for me to find a nursing pillow pattern so I can get an idea of what I am getting into?

Thanks so much! I appreciate it! I think I am nesting... I am close to 34 weeks pregnant with # 3 and am on restrictions because of high blood pressure. So I need to find SOMEthing other than scrapbooking that I can do during this time of waiting. I am also wanting to make my own cloth mama pads (I have a few patterns and ideas for that).

Meredith

Mom to McCayla, Evan, and Reilly or Jenna EDD 6/22

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 11:28am
Hi Meredith and a big welcome to the board.

I looked at the nursing pillow pattern on eBay and I don't think it would be too hard to make. I also did a search on the net and found on-line directions for one that I think would be even easier. The only problem is that it involves making your own pattern. It seemed pretty simple to me, but it might be daunting to a non-sewer. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crafts.html There are also directions for a simple baby sling and some other items that might interest you.

Best of luck to you and the new baby-to-be! Take care of yourself. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I hope you will come back and post often. Let us know how your sewing goes and most important keep us updated on your pregnancy!

Hugs, Becky

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 1:41pm
Thank you, Becky!!! I went out today and looked at a retail store; didn't find a pattern... but did pick up two patterns to make shorts and shirts for my DS and DD... we shall see how all of this goes.

I didn't think the pillow looked to be too hard, so maybe I could venture out into making my own pattern. I did find one (and can't remember the site) to purchase for $ 7.00.. but I think that was all the pattern was for. The one on Ebay looked good because there were those other things in it... but it is over now.

Thanks again! I will certainly be back! I am addicted to helpful boards!

Meredith

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 3:11pm
McCall's has a pattern with a boppy pillow... #2824 (plus a few other baby accessories!)

The big chain stores (Hancock's / Joanne's) often put their patterns on for $0.99-1.99 and Walmart isn't much more in price.

Stacey (good luck making the pillow!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 5:42pm
WOO HOO!!!! Thank you! I went to a local fabric store and could not find it, but I can check out our JoAnne's which at last discussion I heard was having a sale on someone's patterns.. don't know if it was Simplicity or not.

Thanks sooo sooo sooo much! I had tried to order a pattern, but was informed that the manufacturer had discotinued it.

Thanks!

Meredith

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 9:42pm
I just bought the pattern tonight, and it looks pretty simple, especially from a person who has not sewn in about 10 years (and even then I wasn't a big seamstress!).

Thanks for all the help! I will be back with more questions at some point, I am sure!

Meredith

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 11:17am
Have fun sewing!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 4:53pm
Meredith, I am glad to hear you got a pattern. We will be anxious to hear how it turns out. I think that nursing pillow is such a neat thing! Wish I had had one of those when I had my babies. But that was back in the stone age! LOL!

Becky

Photobucket