Family name (m)

iVillage Member
Family name (m)
Mon, 10-27-2003 - 2:07pm
I've been trying to come up with an idea for Christmas presents. Money is running tight and I thought making gifts would be a lot easier while working on a budget. Aside from baking cookies, candy etc. I thought maybe I could make a crosstich of each "family's name".

Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for a simple crosstich, with the name and maybe some vines or flowers accenting?

Also how could I display the crosstich? So far I haven't gotten any patterns I've finished actually framed. LOL Are you sapposed to frame them with glass or a matt?

Thanks a bunch,

Stephanie

Stephanie aka mpwife2000

Proud Army K9 MP Wife

Atkins since 1-12-04 Phase I, 246/198/155-170

CL for TTC and Losing Weight Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 4:52am
I'm not sure I have ever seen a free chart exaclty like you describe but here is what I would try...

Go to your closest LNS or craft store and look through the pamphlets in the cross stitch section. Find a leaflet or pamphet with an alphabet you like and another with a collection of borders (there are several on the market which are designed for stitching on "bands" and others which are meant to use as repeating motifs in samplers). Pick a simple border (make it simple: you don't want to spend a lot of time on this because you do have a deadline and multiple items to stitch. Also, you may want to select more than one, tailoring the border to fit the family, or select a border where you can vary the colors --- stitching more than one of the same design *can* get to be tiring!) and set it up in one corner, *or* in two opposite corners (I wouldn't try to surround the entire piece with a complex border unless you are a math whiz or are very fond of charting everything out on graph paper first!). Stitch the name in the middle.

By the way, use graph paper to set up your name, spacing the letters at least two stitches apart within the name and about four - five stitches apart between words. That way, you can be certain it is centered!

Am alternative would be to look for wedding sampler charts (A lot of wedding samplers are simple floral borders with words in the middle...) and switch out the center wording for the family name, alter the colorations to make it a little less "wedding" and go with that.

There are several ways you could prepare this for presentation.

1. FRAME IT! Simple and inexpensive frames and mats are available ready cut from most craft stores (if you go this route, make sure your design is such that it FITS within the mat opeing, with sufficient border of unstitched fabric around it so that it doesn't look crowded. Or you could opt to go with a frame only...!). If you want to frame it yourself, this is how the British magazines suggest you do it:

Get a piece of poster board or other stiff "card" (I look for the self-adhesive photo mounting boards which are found in craft stores. Easy to cut, have peel-off backing on one side, and are archivally safe). Cut the card and a piece of polyester batting to fit the design size of your peice, perhaps a little larger than the mat opening in teh frame you selected. Cover the card with the batting to act as padding. Spread your sttichery over the batting, right side up (of course, LOL), and on the back side, "lace" the sides and corners together across the back of the card with thread. Just take a stitch in the "hem" of the top, run the thread to the hem on the bottom, go back to top, etc., until the entire piece is stretched over the card. Place the stitchery in the frame so it can be seen through the opening, and secure it with the cardboard back of the frame. If you use a mat and this is not secure enough, you might want to use archivally-safe double-stick tape to hold the stitchery-covered card to the mat..

it isn't necesary to use glass, although glass can protect a piece of stitchery from airborne dirt and grease (paticularly useful if the piece it to be hung in a kitchen). However, if you do use glass, then you should be certain that the glass does not touch the stitchery. That means you need to use at least two mats, layered, and you may not want to use the batting --- which makes the stitchery "puffy" and cold make it stand up over the mat layer.

As for the kind of glass, I prefer regular - because although the non-glare glass means you don't get reflections off the glass at certain angles, it also tends to "dim" the colors of the art piece behind it. I believe it is also possible to get plexiglass cut to fit a frame, but I suspect this would require professional services, and I would be wary of plexigalss or any other "plastic" since it scratches so easily...

2. MAKE A BELL PULL: If you stitch a long and narrow piece, there are top and bottom metal items which you can buy which allow you to partially frame the piece, using the top piece as a hanger and the bottom as a weight to hold it taut. Many craft stores and catalogs (including online stores) carry these bell pull hardware items.

3. MAKE A PILLOW: You can "frame" your piece with a border of fabric (this is best done with linen or other even-weaves, since Aida tends to stretch a lot as well as be more transparent. Then use the "framed" piece as a pillow top. (If you want to use AIDA and make a pillow, back it with a white or neutral muslin before addin the borders, tominimize stretching adn "see through")

Alternatives to the sewn pillow are items called "tuck pillows" These are premade pillows, usually in themed fabrics, which have an open center where you can "tuck" in a piece of stitchery. Some are elaborate, using buttons and other means to attach the stitchery, but most just assume you mean to switch out the piece of stitchery every now and then for a change, so no means of attachment other than friction are used. Do a google search online for "tuck pillows"

Hope this helps!

Carol

That Yank

Images Provided by UK Auction Help

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 9:14am

Looks like Carol has covered most of the questions you had!

The only thing I would add is to try a google search on "free cross stitch alphabets" and/or "free cross stitch samplers" and/or "free cross stitch borders". I searched the alphabets and found quite a few.

Good luck! Let us know how it all turns out.

Becky

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 9:26am
Thanks for the info. Carol.

If anyone else has any ideas, stiching or otherwise, send them my way.

I need all the help I can get. LOL

Stephanie

Stephanie aka mpwife2000

Proud Army K9 MP Wife

Atkins since 1-12-04 Phase I, 246/198/155-170

CL for TTC and Losing Weight Board