They've changed Coats & Clark threads!

iVillage Member
They've changed Coats & Clark threads!
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 3:06pm

I'm in the middle of making a skirt for my DD Alex's friend as a birthday present. Because the skirt has many tiers to it, it is taking a lot of thread (baste, pin, baste again, then sew for each tier) and I needed to get another spool. I went to my local Ben Franklin and took the spool I had with me and it's a good thing I

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-14-2009 - 4:27pm
Very annoying indeed. And I can't find anything online about such a numbering change. You'd think the least they could do is issue a conversion chaart...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

June 13 and 14, and June 20 and 21 are Worldwide Knitting in Public Days!

June is National Safety Month.

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-24-2009 - 9:03pm

Here's an article about those changes to Coats & Clark thread colors and numbers:
http://coatsandclarksewingsecrets.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-thread-colors-numbers.html

There is a link to a conversion chart too!

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 12:51am

I hate the new C&C thread. It's much thicker and stiffer than the old cotton wrapped thread. It's more like hand quilting thread than garment sewing thread.

Chris

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 9:54am
I agree. Not a fan here, either! I have preferred the Gutermann thread for a long time, actually, but am finding that hard to come by locally, too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 4:00pm

Unfortunately, my local fabric shop doesn't carry Gutermann, only C&C. I have to go to JoAnn's for thread. And that's about all I go there for.

Chris

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 6:38pm

My JoAnn's carries Gutterman but who knows how long that will last.

Have you ever treid buying online? There is this place Red Rock Thread...
http://www.guttermanthread.com/

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-26-2009 - 11:17am

I haven't ordered on line yet but I can see that day coming. Unfortunately, your website doesn't sell polyester Guttermann which is what I use. And finding a site that carries the large spools is harder. Most of the sites carry the small spools but not the larger ones. I did find one that carries Guttermann in large spools and cones: http://store.atlantathread.com/gu11yd.html I haven't ordered thread from them yet but I have ordered other sewing supplies. I need to order the color chart but just haven't done that yet.

Chris