Chicken or Egg? Which came first?

iVillage Member
Chicken or Egg? Which came first?
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 1:26pm
When you make fabric selections, do you have a project in mind? Or do you just pick out the colors you like and then do something with the fabric?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

June 13 and 14, and June 20 and 21 are Worldwide Knitting in Public Days!

June is National Safety Month.

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-19-2009 - 1:40pm
I'd say I go 50-50 on which comes first. 50-50 because I tend to buy fabric online (we don't have a good fabric store nearby). I always have a project in mind but I'm never quite sure which fabric works best with the project so I tend to buy several options, most of which have ended up in my fabric stash as they simply didn't work the way I wanted...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 1:52pm

It really depends. Most of the time I have some clothes in mind. Then half the time, I get swayed by some fabric I see in the shop as I buy the other fabric... but I quickly figure out what to do with it!

Hopefully tomorrow I am off to the tailor's to get some shirts made.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 2:40pm
Oh dear. More often than not, I will buy fabric because it is too wonderful to leave in the shop. Rather like taking home a kitten because it is cute, I'm afraid to say. OTOH, there are times when I do buy fabric because I have projects I am thinking of, and know full well that they are the right ones. This is like asking what is in my secret stash, Carol, lol... yikes!!!!! ROFL!!!!!

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 2:52pm
Sometimes I will buy several fabrics that go together with the intent to make a purse out of them, but other times I simply buy something because it's pretty. I have soooooo much in my stash right now that

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 3:06pm

I worked my way through college as an assistant manager at a fabric store.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 5:24pm
I pick the project first, then pick the fabric that I think will work the best.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-21-2009 - 7:30pm

What a relief that I am not alone!

Nenu, I LOVE that cute kitten analogy!

Edited 6/21/2009 11:02 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-22-2009 - 11:44am

Both. I've bought fabric simply because it spoke to me and was on sale. I usually get 3-5 yards. That's enough for just about anything I want to sew into a garment. But I always have a general idea of what the fabric is best for and I buy that amount of yardage.

Chris

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-22-2009 - 1:29pm
I don't make fabric selections, since I can't sew to save my life.