Anyone sew their own clothes anymore?

iVillage Member
Anyone sew their own clothes anymore?
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 8:33am

I was wondering if anyone sews their own clothing anymore. I have been trying to sell alot of womens sewing patterns that I have come across and haven't had any luck :-(

Maybe its cheaper to buy now? Maybe people just don't have the time anymore? Maybe fabric costs have gone up that in some cases its cheaper to buy instead of make?

what is your opinion?

Ding Dong, Avon Calling, Delivered right to your door:

www.youravon.com/sgodsey

Sewing patterns, crafts patterns etc:

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/cincygirl20

www.youravon.com/sgodsey

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 11:43am

Cincygirl, I think that sewing patterns are a niche market, and vintage ones especially so. I would recommend targeting your patterns to that market... and being patient!

People do still make their own clothing (although I think one is more likely to find on this board that it is mothers making clothing for their toddlers), and we have a couple of board members here who are professional seamstresses as well.

But to answer your specific questions, ready-to-wear clothing is usually much cheaper because of cheap labor used to make it. If one factored in the cost of one's time with the cost of quality fabric, well, there's no comparison so I do believe that making one's own clothing, even in today's economy, is more a matter of style, fit and personal taste than saving money...

Where one saves money these days is in altering, repurposing, recycling - if one has the skills. And the number of blogs and online forums which provide repurposing/recycling tutorials has grown significantly in the last years...

Sadly, I believe there is a dearth of education in the basic sewing skills these days: Home Economics classes certainly don't have the cachet of college prep or even business classes, and unless one is lucky enough to have a family member or close friend who sews, one is unlikely to be exposed to quality sewing instruction. Of course, that is an opinion based on my own experience and I may be WAY off...

I wish you luck in selling your pattern treasure trove. Keep us posted on your efforts, please?

Edited 6/25/2009 1:14 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 12:20pm

Hi Carol,

I remember those home economic classes lol. Its a shame they don't have them anymore! I actually learned alot.

www.youravon.com/sgodsey

www.youravon.com/sgodsey

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 11:24pm
Do you sew your own clothing, Cincygirl? Do you have any projects you wold like to sahre as we'd love to hear about them!

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-23-2009 - 11:29pm

Not only is it more expensive -- patterns now can cost $15-25 -- lots of fabric stores are closing. Right now we have one quilt shop (quilt material only) and Hobby Lobby in our city of 33,000. Walmart used to sell fabric but they closed it out a couple months ago. They still sell the patterns, so go figure.

I would LOVE to make my mother some drawstring capris but cannot find any fabric that I like. She is elderly, has a big tummy and is short. So most things have to be altered. I can't even find things in the stores that she would like. I have gone to ordering from catalogs and even then, they need to be shortened or altered in some way.

I have a pair of capri pants now that need to be made larger in the waist but I don't have ANY pink fabric that will work. I hate to purchase even 1/8 yard when I only need a scrap about 4" x 6".... Besides it is a special trip to get it.

I enjoy making clothing but find it easier (and certainly cheaper) to purchase. Plus there is all that TIME involved and sometimes it just doesn't fit the way you think it will....

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(Honeycomb)

50000PosterAward.gif picture by sammycat2002

Betty, =^..^=(Scarlet) and Angel =^ .^=(H

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 1:36am

I do. I also sew infants, children, special occasion, lingerie, active wear (leotards and bathing suits), costumes and reenactment/historical clothing. You name it and I've probably have made at least one, including home dec and quilting. When my mom sewed our clothes when we were children, it was cheaper than buying clothes for 3 girls at Sears. Now, when I sew, it's cheaper than buying at Nordstrum's.

But sewing has changed from when I learned it. Now there are little or no sewing classes in school. Parents don't know how so can't hand the skill down. And the patterns suck because they have been dumbed down. The instructions are not written by people who sew. They leave a lot to be desired when trying to self teach. And they are edited badly since very frequently, the sketches don't match the written directions.

And while frequently I can sew up a skirt in an hour, it's only because I have spent the time to alter the pattern before I cut so I know that the skirt will fit the first time. But usually a skirt will take me 3-5 hours because I put the finishing details in it to make it a quality garment--lapped zipper which is hand basted before sewing, separate waistband, fitting darts, curved sideseams, all seams ironed open and each edge finished separately with a 3 thread overlock, and a hand stitched hem. Sewing shouldn't be rushed. Quality takes time.

Rant over. Chris

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-25-2009 - 9:46am

I do still sew for myself, but the frustration I find is the very limited selection of fabrics that are available in most of the fabric stores. The best fabric stores around me have either closed or gone to selling and teaching more quilting than clothing. Purchasing fabric is a very tactile thing for me so I have difficulty trying to purchase fabric online.

I really agree with what Chris has said about the lack of instruction available, too. I know we have had a number of people posting here who wanted to learn to sew but could not find any local instruction. Sad. It is very hard to self-teach quality sewing, and first garments made from self-teaching are likely to have that made-at-home-with-loving-hands look that discourages further exploration of the skill.

Photobucket