Converting zipper waistband

iVillage Member
Converting zipper waistband
Sat, 07-04-2009 - 11:07pm

I hate the bulky look of zipper top and metal buttons on my store bought jeans in the middle of my tummy. I'd like to convert the waistbands to a side invisible zipper. I seldom tuck tops in, just want a smoother look. Any instructions?

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-05-2009 - 1:19am

Question for clarification: you want to move the fly zipper on store bought jeans to a side invisible zipper? Or do you want to sew up some jeans and move the zipper opening to the side and use an invisible zipper? I don't think that the first can be done successfully. For one thing, the seam allowance isn't wide enough, even if the seam isn't a flat felled seam. But for the 2nd, remove any fly facing from the pattern and sew the front crotch seam all the way up to the waistband. Add another 3/8" (to make the seam allowance 1") to the left side seam where the new zipper opening will be. Put in the invisible zipper and sew up the left side seam. Remark the waistband so that the closing is on the left side instead of the center front, lapping it front to back. Add a skirt hook and eye instead of a button and buttonhole.

Chris

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-05-2009 - 11:21am

I want to convert the store bought jeans. It all started because I thought I saw an article years ago on how to do this with an invisible zipper.

Jacquie