Where can I buy

iVillage Member
Where can I buy
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 12:57pm

very heavy nylon thread. I'll try to make a long story short. My Italian grandmother used to make guinea slippers. The soles were made with layered mattress ticking and wool and thousands of little tiny stitches with heavy nylon thread. She has long since passed on and i am guessing as to how she made them. She and many other Italian ladies would spend months stitching the soles and layering ticking and wool. I have looked everywhere possible. I have found nylon thread for apolstering and for outdoor furniture but it isn't heavy enough. My mother makes old fashioned braided rugs and used to use the same thread, but we can't find it anywhere.

All suggestions will be appreciated. Oh, also, if you have an old Italian lady in your life you might ask her if she remembers how to make guinea slippers, i could use all the help i can find.

thanks

iVillage Member
In reply to: chipper92
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 12:46pm

Wold this be the right kind?
http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.asp?catid=63

It says it's for thinks like luggage and shoes and...

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for