How do you keep track?

iVillage Member
How do you keep track?
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 9:32am
How do you keep track of how long it takes you to finish a project? Do you just note when you start it and when you finish? Or do you actually log how many hours it took?

I was just wondering, because when I start a project for a gift I find I usually underestimate how long it will take. I wonder if keeping some sort of record would help me to know how much time to allow for a similar size project in the future.

What do you think?

Becky

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 9:40am
Because I sell some of my work, last year I started a log book to keep in my sewing drawer. I list all the supplies (and cost) of a project, any notes or swatches, and keep track of the hours involed in each step (ie, cutting & prep, sewing, finishing/embroidery...)

Never used to do this but it's kinda cool now to be able to look back. I used to just note the hours on scrao paper if it was for someone else but then forget all about it.

Stacey

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 10:54am
I can sort of judge because I almost exclusively stitch on the train ride in to work, which is about an hour. So as long as I note when I start (I should write it down instead of keeping it in my head), I know about how many hours.

With my new kit, the threads are at pre-cut lengths, and I can now do two thread lengths per train ride. When I first started the kit, I could only do one!

I'll start writing down on my calendar at home when I start projects.

Lee ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 6:58am
I don't keep track. But I probably should.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 1:13pm
Most pieces, I normally just ball-park estimate the time I took just to indicate it in the photo album I keep of all my pieces (eg. 2 weeks, 3 weeks ...) The only 2 pieces that I am actually tracking it by hours are my 2 HUGE pieces that I am working on - Rainforest Afghan and And They Sinned. I'm trying to be good about noting what changes I made as compared to what the instructions say since these pieces are going to be treasures for me when I do get them complete.

~Val~