Goals, week of August 31, 2009

iVillage Member
Goals, week of August 31, 2009
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 12:25pm

last day of August! Summer will soon be over and the kids are aready heading back to school. My how the year has flown by!

How are you doing on your goals and to-do lists? Have anything new to tell us this week?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

September is National Sewing Month.
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 12:27pm

Last week, it was a slow week.

1. Stamping demo on Tuesday === DONE

2. Stitchery - Continue with Walking to Town === DONE. I'm working on the backstitch now.

3. House cleaner comes on Wednesday === DONE

4. Refill prescriptions === DONE

5. Walk... === One mile on Sunday

6. Pay bills and update the computer records. === bills paid but computer records STILL not updated

7. Wait for Roadrunner to fix out internet === DONE

And we basically spent Tuesday at lunch with two of DH's high school classmates, followed by a long afternoon chatting with her while DH and he practiced Photoshopping digital photos. Something I hadn't planned for...

So this week, yet another uneventful one, I think!

1. Stamping demo on Tuesday

2. Stitchery - Continue with Walking to Town (might actually get the beading done)

3. House cleaner comes on Wednesday

4. Walk - one mile already today

5. Pay bills and update the computer records.

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 5:55am

Good morning,

LAST WEEK:

Mending to do

Finish quilt cushions

Work on needlepoint

Sewing school

THIS WEEK:

Sewing school: DONE

mending: near completion

needlepoint: done need to find a frame

Quilt cushions: not done

Also need: hair cut, make apt with dr, apt to beauty salon

*maybe*: fruits and veggies are in season. So,

Nathalie
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 2:06pm

Yay about sewing school! So when do you start?

And do you have a recipe for marinara? I am hoping for a crop of tomatoes soon and with my luck, all 16 pants will ripen at the same time! I'm thinking that it might be my only hope to salvage this year's crop...

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 5:53pm

Hi

Classes are starting on Sept 18th.

Marinara:

Depends if you are using FRESH or CANNED tomatoes

CANNED:

1- 28 oz diced tomatoes ( with herbs if you like )

1- small can tomato juice (Heinz is good)

1- big onion

2-3 cloves of fresh garlic (could be more if you like)

Salt to taste (I use sea salt, then again, it`s only a personal choice)

Olive oil // basil and oregano, fresh, to taste

In a pan: add olive oil and

Nathalie
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-01-2009 - 9:57pm
Fantastic and thanks! Now to see how marinara sauce looks with yellow tomatoes! LOL I goofed and bought yellow roma plants! LOL

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-02-2009 - 10:09am

It`s the taste that counts... not the looks ;O) LOL

Let me know how it went!

Nathalie
Nathalie
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 10:44pm

Ever try freezing the tomatoes whole and cooking later? I rinse them, pat dry & remove stems, then double-bag and freeze. When time to cook up a batch of sauce there are 2 advantages to using frozen tomatoes - first, run each frozen tomato under cool water just long enough for the skin to soften, then slip it off. Second is that when cooking down, form a well in the middle and the water will settle and can be spooned off regularly. This saves a lot of cooking time. I don't add flavorings until most of the water is gone. Once cooled, the sauce is packed and frozen.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 10:50pm

The last 2 weeks have been a bust, stitching wise.

I have been MIA for 5 days on a trip with 12 other crazy ladies to Minneapolis. Plenty of shopping,eating, drinking, sight seeing. I'm not a fan of big shopping malls, but did venture to the Mall of America. First time I found a store with really good prices on knit tops - liked them so much I went back for 2 more and then found a black & white plaid lined "bomber" jacket for fall. Stand up collar, real fashionable. On departing trip I drove to No. IL , left my car a friends house and she drove her car to MN. On return trip we were 1 hour out of MN when she got the call that her DM had died overnight. A nice trooper helped me get her out of the driver's seat and I took over the long (7 hr) drive to IL. Then I had to contend with my stupid trick of having left my car keys IN the locked car at her house. UPS came to the rescue with the spare key DH had shipped to me. Stayed that night with DSis in that area, had lunch with her & DB on Tues, then did the 4+ hour drive home.

It has been slow going, gradually unpacking and getting laundry done. I should have begun volunteer reading tutoring on Thurs, but needed to relax a bit more. Four days of eating/sightseeing/drinking/laughing just wears a gal out. Besides, I'm not ready to go back to school yet - it just seems wrong to go back before Labor Day.

BTW - the shoulder bag I made for the gift exchange was a big hit. Oddly , it was one by the only other seamstress in the group!

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 11:53am

That winner of your bag will surely appreciate the work you put into it, then!

That sounds like an eventful trip. Everything that could happen, did happen, it appears. Well done on the shopping, though!

Is your friend OK - it sounds like she wasn't expecting that sad news.

CL for