Luggage accessories, my version

iVillage Member
Luggage accessories, my version
Thu, 12-10-2009 - 11:02am

I had to do a little R&D to use purchased placemats for this project. The ribbed texture gives the pieces a sturdy feel, and I could make a bunch, for men or women. The original instructions posted here were for 2 pieces of regular fabric, backed with interfacing,joined & turned. With such heavy fabric, I eliminated the interfacing, used just one piece and serged around edges of tag & strap with wooly nylon. Also, instead of printing on freezer paper or printable fabric, printing was done on card stock. This was because I decided to put a piece of clear plastic (old quilt template sheet) over the top to keep them clean. Figure I could always replace these pieces if someone's address changed. The stock & plastic were attached to prepared tag with a zig-zag stitch. Same issues with the luggage handle cover - 2 pieces of placemat with thin batting in the middle, served with wooly nylon.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-10-2009 - 11:46am

That clear plastic is such a great idea. People often change addresses and that will make it so much easier to update the tags!

Well done!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Has the recession really led us to make do instead of just throw away?
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?
What do you do to get yourself out of a style slump?

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-10-2009 - 1:41pm
Yep, the zigzag stitch will be easier to snip through.
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-12-2009 - 6:03pm
Very nice, Jacquie! It is always fun to see how people adapt projects to suit themselves. I like what you did with this one.

Photobucket