Goals for the last week of 2009

iVillage Member
Goals for the last week of 2009
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 9:33am

Happy New Year week to everyone!

How was your Christmas? and what do you have planned for this last week of teh winter holidays?

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Has the recession really led us to make do instead of just throw away?
In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?
What do you do to get yourself out of a style slump?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 9:35am

Last week…
1. Christmas is at BIL's --- === DONE. We went over at 1 PM, ate a VERY big meal (ham potatoes, sweet potatoes broccoli, asparagus, rolls and salad --- to say nothing of cherry and pumpkin pies), exchanged gifts and then laughed a lot at DH, BIL and nephew playing golf on the Wii!

2. Stitchery - work on Quaker Christmas === DONE

3. House cleaner comes Wednesday === DONE

4. Walk - one mile a day… (sure right!) === NOT done

5. Pay bills and keep the computer records current! === DONE, but wouldn't you know, three more receipts have arrived to be input!

And sometime during the week, wrap DH's gift(s)… or he might just get them in the post office mailing boxes! === he got them in mailing boxes with a robin stuck on!

I also managed to make thank you cards and get notes written and mailed out! Only two days after Christmas! It's a miracle!

This week is more of the same, I suspect, especially since it is supposed to snow six days out of seven (we've already got 1.8 inches when the weatherman said last night 1/2" at most! And it's the icy, blowy kind of snow, murder to drive in!

1. Stitchery - work on Quaker Christmas!

2. House cleaner comes Wednesday

3. Walk - one mile a day… (sure right! IN the snow. Sure!)

4. Pay bills and keep the computer records current!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and ""Shake Up Your Style" and CL for "Remodel & Renovate"

In these economically challenged times, do you think we need a Repair Manifesto?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 10:02pm

Last week -

Got to Curves on Mon & Weds, they were closed the remainder of the week.

Christmas Eve gift exchange & dinner at DSs house 20 miles from here. - was great fun, 8 little girls in family from 2 months to 9 yrs.

Didn't take the train to Chicago on Friday. Weather was too iffy for me to be running around catching trains & for my DB to drive through the snow to pick me up at train station. Turned out just as well - he reported that his oven got flakey in the middle of cooking his famous lasagna, so picking me up would have been a hassle. DH & stayed in and ate leftover ham & turkey dinner that DS had sent home with us. Watched holiday movies until I was sick of them. DH was really glad I didn't go, because he would have been out in our bad snow storm Sat eve to pick me up at 1l PM.

This week -

Balance checkbook

Print and mail our New Years cards.

Practice machine quilting with walking and free motion foot. Need to try different threads also to visualize the difference. When I bought my slightly used Viking sewing machine, the previous owner had created the most wonderful notebook with sample stitches mounted on cardboard, with notes on foot used, tension, thread type, etc. I want to do this with the machine quilting project.

Workout at Curves Mon & Sat.

Tues AM - take oil painting of square rigger ship we bought at garage sale to the 1/2 price framing sale at Michaels and see if we can afford to frame our $3 prize - LOL.

Tuesday PM - Going with DS and DGrDs (7 & 9) for overnight trip to Indianapolis to visit Children's Zoo. The kid's vacation is a full 2 weeks, so this gives Mom a break. DS misses our summer outings, because that's his busy time of year at work. Motel has indoor pool, so they will enjoy themselves.

No big plans for New Years Eve. Even the local dance hall has gotten pretty expensive for the recorded music and snacks they provide.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 11:20pm

We had a wonderful Christmas. Everything went well, I was feeling better then I had all week leading up to Christmas. Paul had a blast. We got to spend some nice family time together with DH and had some friends over.

This week DH is also off.

On the agenda for this week is:

-Car shopping for DH
-House cleaning and organizing in prep for the baby
-go to the children museum if Paul is feeling better by Saturday (he has a cold)
-do end of the year budget assessment and make any changes need for 2010
-start gathering papers need for filing taxes
-there is a holy day of obligation at some point this week
-Enjoy having DH at home till the 4th :)

Photobucket

Lilypie

Lilypie
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 11:23pm

Well, at least with an oil painting, matting and glass aren't necessary, and glass seems to be the most expensive part of framing so... Good luck to you!

The indianapolis trip sounds like fun. Wave in my direction while you are there (we really aren't that far away... DH is from that part of Indiana and they used to drive down for the day on holidays)...

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 11:25pm

Hope aul is feeling better!

What kind of car are you looking for?

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-29-2009 - 12:49am

DH is looking at a chevy impala. We found one and looked at it today. The dealership wants about 1500 more then we were planning to spend but DH is considering going back tomorrow and telling him look, I can give you x amount in cash today and seeing if they will be willing to take it down that 1500.

He would really like to find a car before he goes back to work at the beginning of January. Due to his work schedule it is really hard to just have 1 car and will be harder once this baby is born. He works 3.5 days on 3.5 days off. However, it is 12 hour shifts so like right now he is on the day rotation and has to leave here at 4:20ish to get to work and then gets home about 5:20ish.

Photobucket

Lilypie

Lilypie
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 10:55am

Your glass comment reinforced the stand I took with DH at the store. I said there was no sense to hiding a textured oil painting under glass, plus it's not done by a "master", so doesn't need to be preserved for posterity. Because the canvas is 1" thick, the only frame that would fit would have been $270 ON SALE. No way. We did find the lengths of precut framing, specially made for oil paints and the bill was a whopping $31. Framing must be their big profit maker - LOL.

Had a great time in Indy, but I think every parent & grandparent in the tri-state area had the same idea. The worst part was the long line to purchase single admissions, so I sprung for a membership. We'll go there at least 1 more time before membership expires, so I'll get my $$ worth. No line there - we went right in.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-02-2010 - 12:20pm

Once again late - been busy, but here! :)

Christmas turned out quite nice. My G'ma weekend got pushed back a week because of the inclement weather in So. CA so I drove to So. CA & back the weekend before X'mas & gave thought to just skip driving back for X'mas 4 days later... But the boys (S19 & S23) & G'pa both decided we had plenty of people to do the driving if I really didn't want to & that's what we've been doing for the past 6 years now, so we spent X'mas w/D34 & her family. Again G'pa was at work X'mas Eve & made the mad dash over arriving at 5am, but the day went well & we had time to spend another nite, so got to relax after dinner & drive back fresh the next day.

The week before Xmas we had our hot water heater replaced as it decided to spring a leak (it was our 1st call of the year to the AHS home ins. folks & we had a coupon for the service call); the new energy efficient windows were installed Xmas week - have the kitchen window nook windows to touch up paint & get the curtains rehung; the washer sprung a leak somewhere & DH finally discovered the rinse cycle fill sensor tube was plugged (so once found it was an easy fix); S19 arrived home at 2am New Years eve after having his friends take him to the emergency room as he hurt both feet on his dirt bike that day (turns out he chipped the bone on one heel & it's just ligament stretching in the other -but they sent him home w/a wrapped foot & crutches - he has no health ins...); & later in the AM while I was delivering S22 to the LV airport, DH was calling the AHS home insurance people about our heating unit tripping the breakers when he tried to turn it on. Turns out the condenser is shot (it IS the original 5 ton commercial type unit installed on this house in 1965). Luckily DH finally got the log splitter borrowed from one of S19's friend's Dad before Xmas (tho it leaks oil horribly because it has a split seal) & has started splitting our large stack of downed trees trunks chunks (from our microburst 3 yrs ago) - at least enuf firewood for this week w/no heat. Also luckily, it has held to hi-50's/low 60's and lows in the high 30's/low 40's. So it's quite doable to just sit in front of the fireplace & quilt in the evenings :)

Probably because it has been cooler, but I pulled out my 3rd of 4 Xmas quilts to work on the hand quilting this season. Except that when I do that I haven't been sitting at my quilting frame to work on the hand quilting on the Trip Around the World quilt or working on the applique for the last 3 corner blocks of my Poppy quilt top. I'm trying to tell myself I'll have the Trip Around the World quilt done before April (I started it before we were married & this will be our 25th anniversary). I started the Poppy quilt when D(now 34) was single & in the USAF & she's been married over 10 yrs now... When in Vegas New Years Eve I popped into Joanne's & bought the batting & some yardage I think will work as a good backing for the Poppy quilt - I've been having quite a time finding something I'm happy with & I took the last 6 yds off one bolt & the last 3 yds off another to hopefully have enuf for the backing - tho I'm thinking I'm going to be doing some piecing to spice it up anyway!

Did I mention that I brought home 3 rigid heddle looms from Iowa after Thanksgiving visit. One is a broken antique which DH is gluing back together & the other 2 were student looms (got them from my Mom's best friend's attic, she was an elementary art teacher forever). Have ordered a replacement reed for the broken antique (which has a forgotten weaving project started on the broken one) & a replacement reed (for one missing from one of the student looms) sitting in a weaving store in Kingman that I need to go back up & pick up. I'm really not in any hurry to start a new project, except she does occasional classes & I may try to take one in the next couple months to learn a little more quickly than my usual teach myself.

The plan is to continue on this next week tho school starts back up Monday, & I will again be on call to sub...

Happy New Year!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket