First two of my beading experiements

iVillage Member
First two of my beading experiements
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 12:45pm
I believe I've mentioned before that I decided to tackle the Bead Journal Project this year. The Bead Journal Project is in it's 3rd year and is a challenge to bead something, anything, once a month that "journals" one's life experience... The only rule is that it needs to be the same size, shape, concept each month. And that it be in beads, of course.
http://www.beadjournalproject.com/about.htm

Well, this is certainly outside my safety zone as I have never beaded before, except to scatter a few beads across an embroidery in lieu of French knots! I'm really weak in coming up with original designs/ideas. And "journaling" is NOT in my comfort zone.

So I bought some books, got out my large collection of seed beads, etc. (why do I have so MANY when I don't bead? Must be the same gene that makes we want one of every color of floss ever devised! LOL), and "jumped" in.

Here are the first two entries in my 2010 Bead Journal! I'm using 5" x 5" fabric square to bead on; to date, I've pieced the fabric but that may vary. Also I've stuck with seed beads because that is what I have but I am no finding myself drawn to the local bead shop... really dangerous! LOL

"North Wind" for January:

and Xīn (Heart) for February:

Now to come up with something for March!

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 3:26pm

Those are really pretty...nice job.

March....there's always St. Patty's Day, the Ides of March or you can check out the link that Amy posted with all the different holidays, national days or whatever for the month.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 9:56pm

I'm leaning toward St.David's Day which is March 1. Leeks? I doubt it! The red dragon? I'm not there yet, especially in a 5x5 size! . Maybe a daffodil (it will require my learning two new beading techniques but I found a pattern)... on a black field with a gold cross (the latter in beads --- back with a gold cross is St. David's flag...). Maybe do a Celtic pattern like Celtic knot shown here
http://www.mycelticcrossstitch.com/Celtic_Knot_Cross_Stitch_-_Free_Patterns_&_Instructions.html
for the gold part.

So do I have black fabric? Hmmm..

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 11:18pm

Those are nice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 12:49am

Not silly at all! That's why I had to buy books! LOL

Anyway, you stitch them on. If you use glass beads, especially bugle beads, you need special thread because they can cut the thread with sharp edges. The thread I found is called "nymo", comes in little bobbin-shaped spools in various colors, and is nylon. Not too pricey...tubes of 10 bobbins run about $10 but the local bead shop has split the tubes and sells one bobbin at a time for something like $2.50 (quite a profit, but I would rather not invest in that much thread right now!).

The ones I stitched on these two were basically backstitched on: string 5 beads on the thread, bring the needle back up through two of that five and add five more beads, etc. I've been told that to straighten or smooth long lines, run another length of thread through the entire length and if that doesn't work, do it again. I tried it on Xîn and it worked!

There are more complex beading techniques which add dimension and the daffodil pattern I found uses two of the, We shall see if I can master that!

You should SEE some of the pieces people have done. Totally encrusted with beads of all kinds and sizes! I am a TOTAL novice at this!

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 12:27am
Wow, all I can say is wow that sounds like
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 12:30pm

Yep, magnifying needed for me too!

And my Tacky Bob to keep the beads from scattering all over the place!

My biggest issue, though is simply getting up the gumption to make that first stitch. I am finding that once I start, it really doesn't take all that long, at least for the detail *I* have been doing. Some of the other participants, however, spend months on things like fully encrusted "dolls", etc. and that I couldn't do (I'm not that fond of "dolls" either! LOL)

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 8:20pm

"Tacky Bob", lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 12:10am

A Tacky Bob is a little box, about the size of a CD case, or a little smaller, with sticky stuff in both sides. One side has a "rubberized' surface that keeps the box from skidding around, and the hinge has a magnet where you can place a needle.

You pour the beads on the sticky surface and they "stay" until you pick them up with the needle. or they are SUPPOSED to. Occasionally one will skip out so I spend a lot of time after I put my stitchery away, hunting down the runaways! They SAY you can leave beads in it for an extended period but I've found that they pretty much stick more, the longer they sit there, so part of my clean-up is putting the beads BACK into their storage container!

I need to get a new one as my old one is losing a lot of it's sticky, partly because it it collecting cat fur!

Here's the web site.
http://www.flyingneedlestx.com/tackybob.htm
The inside is plain but the outside has patterned paper showing through. Mine has cats... Maybe that's the reason for the fur? Nah, it's my three shedding furbabies!

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 12:24am
Impresively, nicely done! It sure will be a nice piece of ART!
Nathalie
Nathalie
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 1:01am
I hope to make a kind of accordion-fold "book" from them...

CL for

Pages