WIP Wednesday, May 5, 2010

iVillage Member
WIP Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 11:20am
This WIP is taking FOREVER!

One more row of letters to go… and then a border!

And I totally ignored the row-of-the-month quilt *and* my April bead journal project …

I hope you all are having better luck with WIPs than I am...

Edited 5/5/2010 11:26 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 4:59pm

Lookin good, but I can tell you'll be glad when it's done. They you can play with something else :)

I sewed the last strip on the quilt-as you go baby quilt today, just a little embroidering to do on it left. Then I must decide how to treat the edges. I'm think a wide strip to match the ruffles in the middle - I could use some of the traditional quilt embroidery designs I purchased.

This will probably be it for my sewing until after next week. DS is graduating from UI on 5/15 and we're putting on a big party. Graduation is 5/16. Lots of house cleaning to do, since the construction people started on the sidewalk & drive today and stirred up a lot of dust.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 5:26pm
I love that design, Carol, and it will be so pretty when finished. I know sometimes those larger projects can seem like they will never be done, but hang in there and you will have a real treasure.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 11:27pm
Congratulations to your DS! What is next? A job? Grad School? A back-packing tour of Europe or someplace even more exotic?

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 7:10pm

I understand the feeling of WIP taking forever. However, I can say that you are still making a lot more progress on this one that I am on my current project. By the way, that project is looking fantastic.

I'll be working on my current project weekend and will upload a photo of the progress before I start stitching (there's some stitches but not many)

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 10:45pm

Our DS is completing his BS TWENTY years after beginning it. In between he has had 2 businesses, 2 kids, 1 wife, 1 mortgage. No backpacking (unless camping with the family):) He wants to switch to teaching Jr. Hi Science eventually. I promised him a big party when he completed the degree, so now am footing the bill. Not complaining.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 3:27pm

Here they are finally -

My California Poppy Quilt top that's been in the works since drafting the pattern in 1998. Mostly has sat in baskets between bouts of working on the applique. Just about have the scalloped borders designed... Now to mark the quilting lines & sandwiching it to the backing to put into the floor frame for hand quilting.

Just took the Trip Around the World quilt off the quilting floor frame - needed to come to a decision about the border quilting & have decided to go w/the cross-hatching (already done on one side). So now have to take out the straight lines I thought I wanted & sewed in about 1/4 down one side. This top center was hand-pieced in 1984. Stored from '85-'97. Rethought the simple 4" black border idea & added piping, white, red, & black border strips, found black & white checkered fabric for center of the backing (back bordered in black also), basted quilt sandwich & attached to quilt frame poles in '99. That hung on my hallway wall 'til '09 when I took it down & started hand quilting it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 4:27pm
Wow! That poppy quilt is absolutely stunning! I love the colors and it is a beautiful design. I once appliqued a baby quilt and that was enough for me! So I can appreciate the time and effort that went into that.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 5:05pm

I am in awe of your talent. Having come to be interested in quilting so late in life, I know my hands could never to the task, so will probably make tops & send out for quilting. With a small house, I'd also have no room to display them and that would be a shame. Red is my fav color, so I love the poppy quilt.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 11:52pm
Well done him! That is doing it the hard way. And teaching Jr. Hi science is a great goal!

CL for

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 11:55pm

Absolutely GORGEOUS! All that applique --- I could NEVER have done that much applique! A single block did me in! LOL

is that a garage door behind them? So what size quilts are those? Queen or King?

CL for

Pages