Weekly Goals, June 14, 2010

iVillage Member
Weekly Goals, June 14, 2010
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 12:38pm

Did you post a to-do list last week? How did you do?

How about this week? Anything left to accomplish?

Inquiring minds want to know...

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 12:40pm

Lats week, my list of to-dos was:

Thursday was my busy day:
- Doctor's appointment in the morning === clean bill of health but I really need to start exercising again

- haircut in the early afternoon === almost missed it a Dh took my car without telling me

- and a quilt guild meeting at 7 PM === The guest speaker was Mary Lou Hallenbeck, quilt designer. She talked about her history of quilting and designing and showed a LOT of quilts. You can see her patterns here: http://www.hddesigns.net/

1. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night === it wasn't really a demonstration. More like a trunk show.

2. Stitchery
- work on the challenge quilt === NO

- my June Bead Journal Project === NO

- and continue with the Sea Stars piece === DONE

3. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday === DONE

4. Bills and financial record === bills paid but computer records remain undone.

So this week…

1. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night - the demo is about Copic markers

2. Stitchery - work on the challenge quilt, my June Bead Journal Project, and continue with the Sea Stars piece.

3. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday

4. Bills and financial record

5. Volunteer at telephone bank for public radio from 6 - 9AM Friday.

Edited to add that Tuesday (tomorrow) is the first day we will be picking up vegetables from the CSA we joined this year. The pick is to be Baby Swiss Chard, French Breakfast Radishes and/or A Few Easter Egg Radishes, Baby Greens Mix, Red Buttercrunch Lettuce, Assorted Herbs and maybe a surprise... It's been delayed twice due to weather!

Edited 6/14/2010 11:41 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 2:16pm

Now that school is out for the summer I'll have more time to check in here and get some crafting done - YAY!!!!!

This week's goals:

1) Finish the ripple afghan I've been working on for months. I am sooooo close to being done!

2) If I finish the rippple afghan, I hope to work on the purple and white two-strand baby blanket that is also somewhat close to being finished.

3) Shop and prepare food for our family get-together later this week.

4) Rest and relax as much as possible in between :)

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucketteachers.gif image by karileighthsew.gif image by karileigh

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 8:54pm

LAST WEEK

1 Order Viking foot, then finish skirts. One with invisible zipper is done. Tried to put in a lapped zipper in thin linen skirt and it is very unstable, need to put strips of interfacing on. As the skirt is pleated to my current measurements, I am putting it away until next Summer (with the hope I'll be smaller).

2 Make design for "big sister" shirts for 2 GrGrDs. DONE and shirts given out.

3 Start construction of linen Capri pants & skirts. They are wild prints that just should SUMMER. NOT DONE

4 Finish the partial balancing of last month's bank statement - before the next one arrives. DONE

I did sew up a crinkle cotton skirt on Sat. to wear out to dinner. Felt very summery.

THIS WEEK -

1 Make 2 pairs of summer pants.

2 Dental check up on Tuesday.

3 Much needed haircut on Wednesday.

4 Re-arranging closet in my hobby room. Giving away all the old silk flowers that I would change with seasons. They were a pain to dust then and would be a pain to dust now.

5 Start using the Wii boxing program regularly.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 9:54am

YAY for summer! We ook forward to seeing more of you!

Have a great family get-together (it sound like fun!)...

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 9:56am
Sound like you got a LOT of sewing done last week!

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 4:42am

I don't think that I posted a to-do list last week - I hardly know which way I've been going at present, so I don't remember even if I did.

Things are beginning to calm down, so there's not a lot on my to-do list but at least I can post it.
* Spend some time working on my current cross-stitch project. I've actually planned some time to stitch tomorrow so even if its not a lot there will be some progress.
* Update my finance folder - I've been disorganized and it needs to be done.
* Sort out the clutter in my flat YET again. I will eventually find away to keep things semi-organized. I may take a picture of the clutter later to show why I need to have it at least semi-organized.
* Sort through my pile of cross-stitch patterns and unstarted kits. Decide which ones I will realistically do. If there are any that I don't want to stitch, get rid of them - depending on condition either bin or find a new home for them.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 11:40am
Oh my, sorting and binning projects? That is SO hard for me to do --- I can sort with the best of them but pruning the stash is something I haven't managed to do yet...

CL for

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 11:46am

Well only Wednesday so not so bad for a catch up...

Finally got all the grad pix uploaded to order prints. In that process also caught up on uploading another 100 pix from the past year to print. Got all the grad pix labeled, but haven't done that w/all the others. Am about ready to just click the order button, & be done with it.

Took a break from that & whipped up a baby quilt for a soon-to-be-g'ma friend last week. Used up some of the flannel (from years of pjs & flannel pants for Xmas) stash cut into 1/2 square triangles. Had it basted & shared at the 1st monthly guild meeting. Actually used it as a practice for free motion machine quilting. Did stippling thru the center, & a checkerboard pattern around the borders. Actually, this time the machine quilting didn't come out too bad. I have started some internet research on a more industrial strength machine if I'm going to really start the machine quilting. I've never been one to spend a lot of $$ on my sewing machine & am currently using a White Jeans Machine that I've had for at least the past 12 years. Turns out what I'd really like is a mid arm on a frame if I could swing a sweet enuf deal to not have to spend near as much as the long arms or high end machines. If I could swing $1000 for both a machine & frame I think I'd be comfortable knowing that if I manage to finish 6 or 7 bed quilts it would have paid for itself without me sending out tops to be quilted. I'm one of those "old-fashioned" quilters that doesn't spend a lot of money to quilt or use a lot of gadgets - plus I have always been a hand quilter to really finish a project. But I'm to the point where my hands are not going to let me do that in another 5-10 years so I have to learn the machine quilting techniques outside of stitch in the ditch, outline, or line patterns - or spend $$ to have someone else do the quilting for me. Which to me is a part of the whole process...

Anyway will take pix later this week hopefully to post in WIP post. Yesterday finally pulled out another old WIP top from a mystery quilt project several years back & have it laid out on the floor about midway thru basting the "sandwich". Guess I'm thinking I'm going to tackle machine quilting a large quilt - tho I know it will be quite frustrating on my regular machine. But at least so far I've discovered that on my machine, keeping the feed dogs up, & just taking the foot off works. The garden gloves were an "attractive touch" - but they worked... My last couple attempts dropping the feed dogs were disastrous with the tension issues & I read in a few blogs that some machines just aren't adjusted to work correctly w/the feed dogs down. I think mine is one of them, because I didn't have those issues when leaving the feed dogs up. I discovered I had to change needles quite often or deal w/ missed stitches, & I have a lot of old thread that is going to cause me headaches w/the breakage issues, but I can deal w/that if I know what is causing it... I'm beginning my learning curve w/a new skill here.

Last weekend we actually had some gorgeous weather - turned off the AC for the weekend, got some long overdue weeding done in one garden area, got some liquid fertilizer from our local nursery for some patio plants that are beginning to show signs of yellow leaf - but w/temps over 100 I just can't imagine it's signs of overwatering.?.?.? AND, wonder of wonders, DH for whatever reason has finally decided he was ready to put sprinkler heads on several of the many miles of pipe he has laid over the past several years - so now all I have to do is turn a couple valve handles & half the lawn is being watered without me hauling hoses & sprinklers all over from place to place. :) The tree guy is also finally about done w/the trimming job on two huge Eucalyptus trees he has been working away at for the past month. Should have the last of the clean up done today! We have LOTS of firewood (I think we really need to invest in a new wood splitter from back east...)

..and yesterday, finally relented & paid the service fee for the Dish network guy to come out & replace the dish & receiver as over the past couple weeks since we've been back we've discovered there was obviously a problem w/their equipment - tho we managed to have at least one TV between the two work at a time for whatever reason while we waited. Just don't watch that much TV really - but it's a pain when we do want to & get nothing but "acquiring satelite" for hours on end.

Life is good - I'm using my sewing room most every day, getting ready for a nutrition training presentation "Reading labels" for my daycare ladies this Saturday, & another G'ma week coming up EOM. Still trying to talk D into bringing them here, but don't think it's going to happen w/their schedule. I sure hate that drive over the I-40 especially after reading about another big truck pile-up last week involving 3 separate chain reaction pile-ups in the middle of the nite following the 1st one as our truckers out here just plain follow each other too close. I'm still quite skittish after the one forced me off the freeway out there 2 yrs ago...

Off to shower & finish off the basting on the latest quilt. Have a great day & week!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 7:17pm
Yep - I'm not sure how well it will go. In my case its mainly patterns that I've accumulated over the years with an intention of doing - but clearly haven't every started. As for kits, I think the reason that the ones that will find new homes are likely to be the ones that my family have given me that I would never have chosen to get in the first place. I'll confirm how this goes next week.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 12:01am

Seem to me that, if it was their equipment, Dish shouldn't charge you. We've had to have two boxes replaced in less than a year and a major satellite reorientation from DirecTV and they didn't charge for either, or the service call to determine what was wrong...

Looking forward to photos!

CL for

Pages