Week of July 19 --- Goals and To-Dos...

iVillage Member
Week of July 19 --- Goals and To-Dos...
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:00am

It's going to be another hot humid week but still no rain. the corn is suffering and this could be BAD news for harvest as it is already tasseling...

Anyway, what happened with you last week? Get everything done you wanted to?

How about this week? Any plans you want to share?

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:01am

Last week, I listed as my goals:

1. Pick up CSA delivery between 3 and 7 on Tuesday === DONE

2. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night (we may try a new place this week) === we did try the new place --- which was more scrap/crop oriented but heavy on technique. Out in the middle of nowhere and later in the evening so no dinner out.

3. Stitchery - work on the challenge quilt, the July Bead Journal Project, and Michael Powell's "Greek Window" === only worked on Greek Window, figuring out what needed fudging and what didn't

4. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday === DONE

5. Haircut on Thursday afternoon === DONE, and before I did that, I entered two pieces in the county fair! Drop-off date: August 1!

6. Bills and financial records === Bills paid, record languish

So this week…

1. Pick up CSA delivery between 3 and 7 on Tuesday

2. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night - it' a make-and-take so we'll be in and out in a hurry

3. Stitchery - work on the challenge quilt, the July Bead Journal Project, and Michael Powell's "Greek Window"

4. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday

5. Bills and financial records

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 4:26pm
Since we are now properly installed, I will get my nose in the sewing room and start something!
Nathalie
Nathalie
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 5:15pm

LAST WEEK -

1 Sewing day on Tuesday with the DGrDs. They will make more fabric tubes, rummage through my notions boxes and turn into necklaces & hair bows. No swimming this week as they are a bit sunburned from a weekend camping trip. Instead we are having a "Girls in the City" afternoon to show them what Summer was like for me growing up. We will wear skirts & hats, take the bus uptown to the library to pick up a book on hold for me, walk to the local cafe that makes real soda fountain treats (think egg creams), then back home on the bus. GREAT FUN.

2 Work on the handbag. I found a discrepancy in size of pieces I cut out and instructions, so am going back & mark each pattern piece (on freezer paper) with the dimensions, then compare to what I've cut out. GAVE UP - see my earlier post.

3 Dental appointment on Weds, the last of 2 filling replacements. - DONE, looks great.

4 Historical museum 25 miles away has a easy ballroom dancing with buffet on Sat., so we look forward to that. DIDN"T GO - heat & humidity gave me a headache & idea of getting dressed up was overwhelming.

5 More early morning bike rides, now that I'm out from the rush of landscape work AND my bicycle is fixed & back homes. DONE - rode twice.

THIS WEEK -

1 Complete design of tote bag with pockets to fit MY items. Using fabric from failed purse project.

2 Sewing day with DGrS on Thursday. Project is water bottle totes from washcloths. I need to make a sample monogram on the embroidery machine first. I think we'll visit an indoor pool later in the day, as the 100+ heat index at outdoor pool will be too much for me.

3 Walk or ride bike 30 minutes each day. Need to do this very early, as heat wave is still here.

4 More designing for pant suit embroidery addition. I took a "before" photo to get me going. Noticed it has a big back yoke, so it's back to the drawing boards. I see some BIG butterflies there.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 9:22pm
Good for you! I can't wait to see what you put together!

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 9:25pm

That new purse design *and* your pant suit embroidery have me intrigued. Do take pictures, please?

I sympathize about the heat. We've been getting it here and what is worse, the few storms you all send or way seem to be splitting, with half going north and half going south, leaving us in dire need of rain!

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 8:02pm

It's hot, hot hot - Plus the beginning of monsoon so a bit more oppressive than just being 120 degrees out. I lost 2 plants to the heat being gone a couple days last week. I really need to mow the lawns again, but putting it off. D27 should get here Saturday nite & it would be nice to have it all trimmed up before then.

Last week I attended the annual retreat workday in Phoenix for my little p/t food program job (a 5-hr drive each way which makes an all day deal an overnite...), but made the trek worth it for me by getting my machine quilting frame & machine (see above post). Kind of lucked out finding a Juki machine in Kingman that I picked up between getting a couple of my day care home visits done up there.

Set up my new quilting frame to crib size to force myself to practice, practice, practice & have been doing a couple rows a day trying different designs - going to need lots of practice to get it moving smoothly & w/some modicum of control. Bought some long strips of velcro to sew the hook side onto new crib-sized leaders as the gal couldn't find hers as she'd left it set up King-sized in her room. One of the ladies from the quilt guild is anxious to bring down 7 small unfinished quilts that are ready for quilting when she gets back from Montana this week, so I may be attempting to machine quilt in the frame by the end of the week on something more than old sheets...:)

Finished one of the flannel-sided casings for my two 4'x8' design wall boards. Almost have the last hem ripped out of the sheets I'm using so should be able to sew up the 2nd one, probably tomorrow at this point. Actually DH is now talking about which wall we could permanently attach them to, possibly framing them, etc... Of course we are having discussions about the best way to rearrange the room when I want to set up the quilting frame to King size - which I'm thinking may involve moving his stained glass table out - tho he's more inclined to get rid of the current TV wall unit we moved in from the living room when we bought the huge flat screen &/or the pool table... And now that he's out there working on his project of the last 2 yrs. he's discovering for himself how warm that room gets since we only cut one vent from the existing system into it pending our future upgrade of the heating/cooling system which is still "on the list" - but rapidly moving up - if we could just get a reasonable quote.

Today worked on getting the question of DS23's health insurance resolved. Basically I was operating under the assumption that when United Health Care opted to immediately extend coverage for graduating college students that DS was still covered. What I learned after I received a verification of Student Status form in Saturday's mail is that because we are under the railroad coverage and that is under collective bargaining, that provision does not apply to those under the railroad medical plans - so DS has no medical insurance retroactively to the date of his graduation. Luckily, the only thing he's gone & taken care of was an eye exam & new trial pair of contacts, so it's not a huge bill. But we have about 5 days til our 60 day limit is up to enroll him in COBRA w/the same coverage to the tune of $600+/mo.- or not. He's checking out an option Harvard mentioned as interim available summer coverage.

Also starting to get a bit more focused on the family gathering the 30th-31st to finish up the celebration after DS's Bar Exam w/brothers & sisters out here. And finally placed an order for 7 different math course DVDs while I could still get the 70% off sale prices to use to brush up on my math skills for the Secondary exam next Spring without having to take any more classes - for the same $$ as taking one actual class (which would also be a repeat) + I can review at my leisure & have the DVD's to review any time I want again & again. I've been holding onto these catalogs planning to order these at the sales prices for over 3 months while the sales were expiring as I wasn't paying attn. I ended up missing one course not on sale right now after I made a phone call & got a rep that found 5 of them for the 70% off sale price in a catalog I didn't have & 2 were in the new catalog I just got.

Thought I had posted a pic of the baby quilt last week in the WIP - but it never took. I was having trouble uploading the pic of the on-line BOM quilt I'm undertaking - end result meant to be a great practice endeavor for practice quilting on the Brother machine in the frame. Maybe I'll get those up this week w/a pic of the new design wall & the new machine set-up.

Other than that I started a pre-cut rectangles & squares baby sized donation quilt Saturday w/our group that I brought home to finish piecing the top to add to the other 7 to get quilted. That should about take me to the end of the week.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 10:42pm
It sound like your sewing space will be fantastic once set up. A design wall would be heaven but I don't have a wall I can attach one to --- your foam board idea sound like a great compromise for me (I have the flannel...), if I can find a pace to put the two antique Chinese armoirs!

CL for